Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft 13 y.o. shoplifted $13 in OH

Status
Not open for further replies.

delaina25

My 13 y.o. daughter was caught shoplifting this past weekend of 3 items totaling $13. These items cannot be resold since she opened the packaging. She was placed under house arrest until further notice of the Court (which I assume will be the court date) and also banned from the store for life. I haven't been able to find much on Ohio law about minors and shoplifting. I fully believe she should be punished for the shoplifting, but the fines and jail time (!) listed in what I've been reading more apply to adults and for more expensive theft (over $300). I'm hoping it will be some sort of probation and community service. I really cannot afford to pay the fines. What kind of information can you give me about what I can expect? This is her first offense.

What statutes is she being charged under?

BTW, I am curious as to what your kid said when you took away all her electronic gear (MP3 player, tv, computer, phone, cell, etc.) and told her that she was shopping for clothes at the Salvation Army till she left home?

:angel

BTW, I am curious as to what your kid said when you took away all her electronic gear (MP3 player, tv, computer, phone, cell, etc.) and told her that she was shopping for clothes at the Salvation Army till she left home?

:angel

As for the statutes - the only one listed on the "House Arrest" form that I have is Ohio Revised Code 2151.31, but that refers to my responsibility to bring my child to court. I will call the police station today to get the actual charges.

And as for the electronics - she doesn't have a cell anyway (I'm not paying for that!!!! lol) and we already shop at thrift stores for clothes so that's nothing new. Actually she's been pretty agreeable and not given me any more trouble. I have told her that I will sell the electronics to pay for the court costs because that is not coming out of "my" pockets! I really don't think she's grasped the gravity of the situation yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back