Real estate transfer in Wisconsin (Milwaukee County)

Redblue12345

Jurisdiction
Wisconsin
A friend of mine wants to transfer ownership of her condo to her brother. To record the transfer at the courthouse, they require the Real Estate Transfer form receipt from the Wisconsin Dept of Revenue (which they already have), the transfer fee and the deed. She lost the original deed. I'm confused as to does she need to complete a new deed form showing herself as the owner or a new deed form showing her brother as the owner? This is what's listed on their site in the attachment. Any ideas?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240511_132852_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240511_132852_Chrome.jpg
    564.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20240511_134420_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240511_134420_Chrome.jpg
    590.8 KB · Views: 1
She lost the original deed.

As Welkin says, she can get a certified copy from the county records office.

I'm confused as to does she need to complete a new deed form showing herself as the owner or a new deed form showing her brother as the owner?

That you are confused suggests that you have no business helping her in the transfer.

If she is confused she would be well advised to have a real estate attorney handle the transaction.

But even before that, she and her brother should consider the tax consequences of the transfer.

She can google that or talk to a tax pro.

A friend of mine wants to transfer ownership of her condo to her brother.

Why?

She lost the original deed.

The original deed? You mean the deed by which your friend acquired title? Has she sought to obtain a copy of that deed from the county clerk/recorder?

I'm confused as to does she need to complete a new deed form showing herself as the owner or a new deed form showing her brother as the owner?

Why is your confusion about this relevant to your friend's situation?

Any ideas?

Your friend should retain the services of a local attorney to make sure whatever it is she's doing is done correctly.

Back