What are my chances of getting sole custody?

Status
Not open for further replies.

almom

I want to get sole custody of my son. I just don't know how I would go about doing this. My boyfriend (the baby's father) threatens me all the time with taking the baby away. I am not abusive, I don't do drugs... the only detrimental thing is that I have not had a job until recently. The father on the other hand has a great paying job. He is just kind of neglectful when it comes to the baby. Not paying much attention to him when other things are going on. He cannot do more than one thing at a time (i.e. watch TV and watch the baby). He is also mentally and emotionally abusive to me, telling me that the only reason I wake up is to sustain life and that I have no purpose other than that. And he has been physically abusive although there is no formal documentation of it. I just don't want my son growing up thinking that the way his father treats people is the way people are to be treated. I also worry about my child when he is with his father. He often falls asleep while the child is playing. Please help. I know I need to find a lawyer, but I cannot afford one, is there anything else I can do and what are my chances of custody?

Nobody can tell you your chances of custody. Generally it is harder for fathers to get custody, but not impossible. What state are you in? If you cannot afford an attorney you can see if you qualify for legal aid.

Has paternity been established? If he signed the paperwork then in most states he has rights. If he did not, then he has no rights until this is done

I guess you need to determine how much of a fight and battle you want to start. Many states now give joint custody. Regardless if you get sole or not, the father is entitled to get overnight visitation.

Are you still living with the baby's father? I would move out with a friend or family and file for child support. You eventually need to file a parenting plan in the courts so it is known who gets the baby and when. Most courts offer a self help/ law library where you can do this yourself if you cannot get an attorney.

I am in Alabama. It has been documented that he is the father. He is on the Birth Certificate.I do still live with him. I plan on leaving tonight and staying with a friend. my son is not in this state right now. He is visiting family in FL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back