terminating parental rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

nabz33

I'm trying to find some information on what I need to do to get my 3 year old sons father to give up his paternal rights. The father says that he is seriously thinking of giving up his rights because he can't take care of himself let alone a child.He has only seen our son twice in three years one time during court, the other when my son was 10 months old.He doesn't call to see how our son is doing or anything else. {He has absolutly nothing to do with our son what so ever.} He was court orderd to pay child support which goes straight through social services so I don't actually get the child support because I was recieveing goverment assistance at one time{ but he does owe $4,000 in back support and he only pays when he wants to}.I have full custody of our son,he does have visitation rights but has never bothered to see our son. I am not married but I'm engaged to the only father that my son has ever really known.My fiance has taken care of my son since he was just a couple of months old and wants to adopt my son.I live in maryland and wanted to know if my ex could give up his rights and allow my fiance to adopt my son.Do we have to be married for a certain amount of time first.My ex says he wouldn't really care about giving up his rights if he didn't have to pay child support after he gives up his rights.Would he still have to pay support or not?I have read of the other questions and replys to pretty much the same question but the answers are all different.Again I live in maryland my ex is in wv,but everything is handled in md.{e do live in seperate states but only 15 mins.apart from each other so know excuse for him not to see his son.}

Once you are married, you can petition the courts to terminate parental rights of the bio father, then your husband can adopt. Most states would like you married for at least 1 year before this can happen.

Once you are married, then you can see an adoption attorney.

Future CS should stop but the deadbeat will owe any back support.

You can also ask vio dad to help out with legal expenses for this adoption to go through otherwise you will continue to have CSE pressure him for support and the arrears will continue to pile up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back