School Withdrawal Charges

Alyssa Molina

Jurisdiction
Georgia
Hi,

We had recently in September 2022 enrolled my daughter into the Aveda Arts Institute in Atlanta Ga. She was there only three days and realized that the school and environment was not for her. We were told upon admission that if she was not interested in staying (as we were on the fence as to if this program was going to be right for her) that we needed to withdraw as early as possible in order to not pay exorbitant amounts of withdrawal penalties. She attended three days. Two of which were orientation and receiving her hair stylist kit which we paid for in full. She received no instruction within those three days and withdrew. We have since received a bill for $3900.00. I sent in a request to modify the amount as $3900.00 seemed way too much for receiving nothing. They came back and offered to only charge us $1975.00. I still think that is too much especially since she received no instruction. Under these circumstances do we have to accept the $1975.00 charges or can we counter or not pay at all. I would think much differently if my daughter had stayed, received instruction in a real class or took tests, etc.

Whoever contracted with the school should read their contract, as the answer will be contained there. If they cannot understand their contract, then they should take their contract to a local attorney for advice.

Hi,

We had recently in September 2022 enrolled my daughter into the Aveda Arts Institute in Atlanta Ga. She was there only three days and realized that the school and environment was not for her. We were told upon admission that if she was not interested in staying (as we were on the fence as to if this program was going to be right for her) that we needed to withdraw as early as possible in order to not pay exorbitant amounts of withdrawal penalties. She attended three days. Two of which were orientation and receiving her hair stylist kit which we paid for in full. She received no instruction within those three days and withdrew. We have since received a bill for $3900.00. I sent in a request to modify the amount as $3900.00 seemed way too much for receiving nothing. They came back and offered to only charge us $1975.00. I still think that is too much especially since she received no instruction. Under these circumstances do we have to accept the $1975.00 charges or can we counter or not pay at all. I would think much differently if my daughter had stayed, received instruction in a real class or took tests, etc.

You should realize that your daughter took up a student place in the class that may or may not get filled. They basically cut the fee in half. Seems pretty reasonable to me.

Is your daughter a minor or an adult?

Did your daughter sign any sort of contract with the school that set forth details of charges and obligations in the event of withdrawal? If she didn't sign such a contract, did you? If one of you signed such a contract, what are the relevant terms of the contract?

I suspect that either the student or the parent or both signed something at enrollment that agreed to the school's terms and conditions regarding withdrawal.

However, even without a "signed contract" the act of enrolling is likely to have been acceptance of any published terms and conditions available to the enrollee, even if the enrollee didn't bother to read them.

"I was told" is one of the most dangerous phrases in the English language.

Back