paternity

Status
Not open for further replies.

wensween

My fiance just recieved court papers from a girl he slept with 7 years ago. The girl had the baby and thought this other man was the father, he signed the birth certificate and thought he was the father. They split up and he had to take the paternity test because they werent married and he isnt the father. Even though he wasnt he was able to have custody of the boy, he also has his name. The mother has a very bad past drugs...more. This past summer she called me up and said that she is taking my fiance to court she just got her son back and now she needs social services and she is sure he is the father. We have court in 2 weeks, support, paternity, and insurance, and she wants an order of protection. This girl is pretty gross..the child is 6 years old. I already have one ex to deal with and we are constantly in court with her . I dont know if i can deal with this ....but...where do we start..i know establish paternity...will they go back to day 1 even though the other guy was on birth cert....My fiance thinks we should try to take the boy from her...what do you think the chances are? real Confused....

My fiance just recieved court papers from a girl he slept with 7 years ago. The girl had the baby and thought this other man was the father, he signed the birth certificate and thought he was the father. They split up and he had to take the paternity test because they werent married and he isnt the father. Even though he wasnt he was able to have custody of the boy, he also has his name. The mother has a very bad past drugs...more. This past summer she called me up and said that she is taking my fiance to court she just got her son back and now she needs social services and she is sure he is the father. We have court in 2 weeks, support, paternity, and insurance, and she wants an order of protection. This girl is pretty gross..the child is 6 years old. I already have one ex to deal with and we are constantly in court with her . I dont know if i can deal with this ....but...where do we start..i know establish paternity...will they go back to day 1 even though the other guy was on birth cert....My fiance thinks we should try to take the boy from her...what do you think the chances are? real Confused....
I am very sorry to hear about your situation and this surprise. I can understand that you are concerned but what is your primary objecitve here?

well...we are worried if it is his that we will have to pay back 6 years...#2 we either want to take him from her and give him a good life or no be in there life ...she has another baby now with someone else...they both are drug users and cheat the system. They have a background..and we are trying to decide whether to fight or ...its hard to explain online.

I suggest you and your husband see an attorney because generally if 7 years has passed, and another man established paternity via marriage, or signing an acknowledgement of paternity,generally it is too late for her orthe father to dispute paternity now.

What state are you in? You might haver to google paternity in your state and see what you find.

If your state allows this father to dispute paternity (I am surprised if they do) then your husband really has no choice but to take a DNA test if they ask for one, and if he is the father he has the right to seek custody or visitation.

If by some chance your husband is declared the father and the birth cert. gets changed, then chances are CS won't go back very far.

The child thinks this other guy though is Dad, so I am surprised if the courts will even allow this after all this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back