Need help in Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.

lauragvz

My ex-husband and I have 3 children. He has always been very abusive towards me. In 2000 he was convicted for domestic violence (against me- we were separated and I had filed for divorce) and went to prison for about 3 years. The divorce was final while he was in jail in 2001. He got out in June 2003, and by August he had barged into my apartment and hit me again in front of our two sons. I sent him back to jail- felony this time, and now he's just gotten out on October 6 2005. I got a protective order against him this time, but he still has visitation rights. I now have to pay $36 a month so that we can exchange at a "meet in the middle" place..this was court ordered because I asked for protection. I don't think I should have to pay. Also, two of my children don't care to see him. My 15 year old (girl) feels sorry for him because she says he's "mental", and the youngest boy (10) just goes because he feels like he has to. My ex takes them climbing hills in his 4 wheel drive while drinking, doesn't make them bathe, change clothes, doesn't send their things home with them. I should also mention that he owes me about $18000 in child support which was ordered while he was in jail during the divorce, so he hasn't had really a chance to pay on his own, but his sister pays his bills, bought him a truck, $1000 set of tires, green fees for golf everyday...all the while I struggle to feed and house my 3 kids. He's also told my oldest son (11) that he's not going to get a real job so he doesn't have to give me child support.... Is there any law in the state of Tx that will help me get my kids away from him for good and strip his parental rights away? What do I have to do or what kind of evidence do I need?

ubfortunately you can't. He is their father and he does have rights unfortunatelly. The 10 and 11 year old are too young to make decisions that they do not want to see their father.

I would go to the courts and file for supervised visitation. You can even see about stripping him of viditation but you probably will need an attoreny. not sure if you qualify for legal aid but if you do they might help.

Have you contacted CSE? He should be in jail, or at least have a court date to his unpaid child support. i would be bothering CSE until the case worker did something for his arrears. You can always contact a CS collections agency too (www.supportkids.com), they can go after him too.

You might want to see an attorney if you can.

All I know is that my step daughter's ex husband (who lived in Texas at the time) filed a restraining order against her seeing the child because he said she drank around him and stuff. She lives in Illinois and hadn't even been able to see the child in a year and her ex didn't even have to show proof of what he said. He was granted the restraining order for the child. Go to children and families and just ask them if there is anything they can do to help you protect the children. Maybe by getting him supervised visitation with them. Since he has a record, they may do something to help. It's child endangerment to drive the kids around while drinking.
If you qualify-
Go to your child support office and tell them constantly that you want something done about him not paying child support. You have to bug them all the time for them to do something about it. Ask if they can take him to court and then if he doesn't pay after they take him to court they will hold him in contempt and put a warrent out for him.
If you don't qualify for help at the CSE office then you will have to hire a lawyer yourself and take time to court over the child support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back