is a free rocketlawyer prenup any good?

mizzle

Jurisdiction
Georgia
i don't have any complex needs other then keeping assets and debts separate and definining what each party keeps in the event of a divorce. I have read that no prenup is a guarantee, even one generated by a lawyer for a fee. if your opinion is it is more vulnerable, please include what this vulenrability is ie what information are they missing (in a simple transaction such as mine)

You're very naive if you think that there is anything simple about a prenup. The following resources provide information about the enforceability of prenups in Georgia.

https://mtlawoffice.com/news/enforceability-of-a-prenuptial-agreement-in-georgia

https://mtlawoffice.com/news/the-continuing-saga-of-enforcing-a-pre-nuptial-agreement-in-georgia

Run a search for "enforcing a pre-nup in Georgia" and you'll find more. But those two are enough to get you started. They cite case decisions and statutes. I suggest you study up on both.

Statutes you can find at

2021 Georgia Code :: US Codes and Statutes :: US Law :: Justia

The cases you can find at

Google Scholar

Just put in the case name at the search bar on top of the page.

I strongly suggest that you have your soon-to-be spouse also study the statutes and cases. One thing that could make the prenup unenforceable is an unlevel playing field, i.e; you have more knowledge about it than your stb spouse does.

Again, nothing simple about prenups and their potential consequences.

You're very naive if you think that there is anything simple about a prenup. The following resources provide information about the enforceability of prenups in Georgia.

https://mtlawoffice.com/news/enforceability-of-a-prenuptial-agreement-in-georgia

https://mtlawoffice.com/news/the-continuing-saga-of-enforcing-a-pre-nuptial-agreement-in-georgia

Run a search for "enforcing a pre-nup in Georgia" and you'll find more. But those two are enough to get you started. They cite case decisions and statutes. I suggest you study up on both.

Statutes you can find at

2021 Georgia Code :: US Codes and Statutes :: US Law :: Justia

The cases you can find at

Google Scholar

Just put in the case name at the search bar on top of the page.

I strongly suggest that you have your soon-to-be spouse also study the statutes and cases. One thing that could make the prenup unenforceable is an unlevel playing field, i.e; you have more knowledge about it than your stb spouse does.

Again, nothing simple about prenups and their potential consequences.

Even playing field would also include her own lawyer to independently review the proposed pre nup.

I have read that no prenup is a guarantee, even one generated by a lawyer for a fee.

A prenup often works as crafted.

However, the ONLY guaranteed way to eliminate ANYONE from enjoying the fruits of YOUR labor is remain UNMARRIED.

Heck, under the right circumstances cohabitation with a person can cause you to be ordered to hand over your loot.

Finally, to retain total and complete control of your assets, don't create a baby, married or unmarried.

(EXCEPTION: There is very little anyone can do to avoid a governmental entity from demanding tribute, or as is in the case of your wages/investments/etc... preventing theft of those various assets by the many manifestations of income tax incarnations.)

There are many forces, factors, and entities working to take what any of us accumulate.

Choices, all choices have foreseen, unforseen, unintended, and intended consequences.

Proceed with great caution and deliberation, as haste often makes waste.

Always choose wisely, never choose in haste, or driven by a lustful libido!!!

I have read that no prenup is a guarantee

I disagree.

even one generated by a lawyer for a fee. if your opinion is it is more vulnerable, please include what this vulenrability is ie what information are they missing (in a simple transaction such as mine)

Vulnerable? The quality of any legal document is not dependent on the fee arrangement that leads to its preparation.

is a free rocketlawyer prenup any good?

I don't have any personal knowledge of "rocketlawyer." The most commonly problematic issue with prenups is disparity of bargaining power. If that's not an issue for you, then the quality of a prenup generated by the service in question can only be assessed after it is drafted.

i don't have any complex needs other then keeping assets and debts separate and definining what each party keeps in the event of a divorce. I have read that no prenup is a guarantee, even one generated by a lawyer for a fee. if your opinion is it is more vulnerable, please include what this vulenrability is ie what information are they missing (in a simple transaction such as mine)

Rocket Lawyer has a number of fill in the blank types of forms you can choose. In general those kinds of generic documents have potential problems, especially since a lot of people's situations don't fall neatly into the situation the form was drafted for. I would certainly not use those kinds of forms for a pre-nup. The company also offers connections to lawyers in your that have partnered up with the company (essentially advertising for the lawyer) and the quality of the documents you get just depends on how good the lawyer drafting the document is. Some of the lawyers may be great, some will be terrible and most probably somewhere around average ability. There are multiple ways to pick a lawyer and you might want to explore several different options to help you find the right lawyer for you.

A well drafted pre-nup where both parties are equally informed of the effect of the agreement and each represented by the their own lawyer can be quite useful. These documents, however, often don't age well over time if the marriage is a long one. And they don't address every possible situation that might arise in a split. So if you get a pre nup, make sure you understand not only what it does, but also what things it does NOT do for you.

Whether you really need a pre-nup depends on your situation. If the pre nup effectively splits things much the same way state law would in a divorce then it won't really do anything for you. And as I said, these agreements often don't age well; 20 years from now you might regret some provision you put in the agreement because of some circumstance you didn't foresee coming. So before jumping right into the details of a pre nup with the lawyer, I suggest you have a conversation with the lawyer as to just how much good it will do you in your particular situation. After all, lots of people do just fine without one.

Back