Initially Full-time, reduced to Freelance = doubled my work load

employee5)0

Jurisdiction
California
Thank you in advance for your responses!

I was hired as a full-time graphic designer, on salary. It's hard-times now financially at the office with less and less sales coming in. They cut my days to 2 per week instead of what used to be 5. But my work load has doubled, even tripled that, not to be dramatic, I can't breathe, I'd go on palpitations and just downright humiliating. My employer calls my status as "Freelance" but I still get salary deductions (tax, etc)....not really sure if that matters. I also filed for Unemployment Benefits and got approved. It's been 3 months now. Under these conditions, can I ask my employer to increase my pay? I get freelancing jobs outside and I get more for significantly less work. I am mentioning this because the company is notorious for low pay for too much work, slave labor, sweatshop type. If they deny without adjusting my current workload back to what's reasonable and normal, can I quit without losing my Unemployment Benefits? Or if I have to stay so I can keep EDD, is my only recourse to do all I can with work, meaning, taking care of my health first and not exactly submit work demands as fast as they want? If they fire me because I couldn't take the new workload/same pay/less time, will I keep EDD? Thank you very much.

Thank you in advance for your responses!

I was hired as a full-time graphic designer, on salary. It's hard-times now financially at the office with less and less sales coming in. They cut my days to 2 per week instead of what used to be 5. But my work load has doubled, even tripled that, not to be dramatic, I can't breathe, I'd go on palpitations and just downright humiliating. My employer calls my status as "Freelance" but I still get salary deductions (tax, etc)....not really sure if that matters. I also filed for Unemployment Benefits and got approved. It's been 3 months now. Under these conditions, can I ask my employer to increase my pay? I get freelancing jobs outside and I get more for significantly less work. I am mentioning this because the company is notorious for low pay for too much work, slave labor, sweatshop type. If they deny without adjusting my current workload back to what's reasonable and normal, can I quit without losing my Unemployment Benefits? Or if I have to stay so I can keep EDD, is my only recourse to do all I can with work, meaning, taking care of my health first and not exactly submit work demands as fast as they want? I did increase my speed and able to deliver in full work integrity but it's just not sustainable. If they fire me because I slowed down and couldn't take the new workload/same pay/less time, will I keep EDD? Thank you very much.

Under these conditions, can I ask my employer to increase my pay?

Almost everyone can ask anyone anything.
However, if your workday and your hours have been reduced, asking for more money during these austere times might result in you receiving the boot, not a raise.

It might be time for you to begin seeking greener pastures.

Thank you, Army Judge. Yes, I am aggressively looking for new jobs. But until I get one, I understand I should not quit so I can keep my EDD. And if I tell employer to go easy on the unreasonable workload, they refuse, and then I slow down, and then they fire me...will I keep the EDD? I have been in the industry for more than a decade and never been employed under these conditions. I also think that they want me to quit so they won't have to pay for the benefits and then hire someone else for a much lower pay. That is just the way our employer thinks and it's no secret.

If you are asking whether you can ask, of course you can ask. There's no law prohibiting you from asking.

If you are asking whether the employer is obligated, upon your request, to raise your salary, however, the answer is no, they are not.

Likewise, if you are asking whether your job is protected if you ask, sadly, the answer to that is also no.

Back