Grandparents rights

tim m larabel

Jurisdiction
Michigan
Please let me know if I'm posting in the right subsection.
I'm having trouble with the guardian of my bio grandson here in Michigan.
Can i file a petition with the court in that county. Does anybody know what the chances are of ever seeing my grandson ??
The father has alcohol and anger issues. The girlfriend is blindly following his orders and giving us nothing but grief.
Soooo frustrating.
I hope the court will take a look at his priors. He has plenty of them.
I got a couple traffic tickets 40yrs ago. That's about it for me.
The boy in question, is ten now. He was placed with me by DHS back when he was 15mth old. I had custody of him for a yr before the court returned him to his father. Long story. Suffice to say his bio father was not found fit by the court to take him initially.

Please let me know if I'm posting in the right subsection.
Can i file a petition with the court in that county. Does anybody know what the chances are of ever seeing my grandson ??
The father has alcohol and anger issues. The girlfriend is blindly following his orders and giving us nothing but grief.
Soooo frustrating.
I hope the court will take a look at his priors. He has plenty of them.
I got a couple traffic tickets 40yrs ago. That's about it for me.
The boy in question, is ten now. He was placed with me by DHS back when he was 15mth old. I had custody of him for a yr before the court returned him to his father. Long story. Suffice to say his bio father was not found fit by the court to take him initially.

Where is the child's Mother? Are you a paternal or maternal grandparent?

The goal of DHS (and similiar governmental units) is to reunite families. The father was found to be fit about eight years ago, so bringing that up now is really poor form.

What sort of trouble? Why is the child living with a guardian instead of his parents?

Does anybody know what the chances are of ever seeing my grandson ?

No one here knows.

I had custody of him for a yr before the court returned him to his father. Long story. Suffice to say his bio father was not found fit by the court to take him initially.

You have referred to both the child's "father" and "bio father." Are those two different people? Adding "bio" is unnecessary and confusing unless the child has a father other than his biological father.

Mother tpr her two boys 2016.

So...the mother's parental rights were terminated 8 years ago?

My question is , would filing a motion with the court be my best option ??
Has one had any experience with that ??
What was the result ?

Lots of people have had experience, but anecdotes won't be helpful to you.

Section 722.27b(1) of the Michigan Compiled Laws provides that "[a] child's grandparent may seek a grandparenting time order under 1 or more of the following circumstances:
(a) An action for divorce, separate maintenance, or annulment involving the child's parents is pending before the court.
(b) The child's parents are divorced, separated under a judgment of separate maintenance, or have had their marriage annulled.
(c) The child's parent who is a child of the grandparents is deceased.
(d) The child's parents have never been married, they are not residing in the same household, and paternity has been established by the completion of an acknowledgment of parentage under the acknowledgment of parentage act, 1996 PA 305, MCL 722.1001 to 722.1013, by an order of filiation entered under the paternity act, 1956 PA 205, MCL 722.711 to 722.730, or by a determination by a court of competent jurisdiction that the individual is the father of the child.
(e) Except as otherwise provided in subsection (13), legal custody of the child has been given to a person other than the child's parent, or the child is placed outside of and does not reside in the home of a parent.
(f) In the year preceding the commencement of an action under subsection (3) for grandparenting time, the grandparent provided an established custodial environment for the child as described in section 7, whether or not the grandparent had custody under a court order."

It seems like at least one of these is applicable to your situation. Subsection (3) discusses the procedure. I strongly suggest you seek assistance from a lawyer who handles these matters in the relevant county.

Back