Ex wants to give up parental rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

salivakicks

I live in Michigan and my soon to be ex-husband (not divorced but have been seperated for 3 1/2 years) lives in Ohio. He owes almost $19,000 in back child support, he is now threatening to give up parental rights. I know it is almost impossible for him to do so without me having a step-parent to adopt. But I want to know what the chances that he actually could acheve this were.

No chance at all. He just cannot do it to get out of child support.

Have you contacted CSE, or a child support collections agency like www.supportkids.org?

If he is that much of a deadbeat, he could potentially go to jail.

i know he is working at a gas station, but not the name of it or where its at. They told me the only way they can find out without having that information is to have a "show cause hearing". They sent me the application for one but told me that the state of Mchigan is quite backed up right now so it could take upto a year to actually get one, if I get granted one at all.

What county is your support in? Mine is in Hillsdale. If my ex goes without paying for at least a months worth of support, they automatically send a show cause hearing.

The CSE doesn't have his social security number on file. It isn't all that hard to find him if they have that. I would continually write letter to the Friend of the Court once a week. Michigan hasn't really stepped up to the plate on back support. I know this because my father NEVER paid support for two children (I'm 38). My mom has filed for his tax return and never received anything. My mother left our cases open after we turned 18. Ohio has to be able to help, too. Because that's where he lives.

Most states like to go after the ones who pay their support. Because most NCPs are afraid to go to jail, etc.

Good Luck.

they have his SS# but i was told by a case manager at friend of the court that they can't do an employment check without a show cause hearing. My case is through Washtenaw county, but I now live in Wayne county.

If you go ahead and file for divorce

If you go ahead and file for divorce. At the divorce hearing, the judge will order him to pay support and even add the amount of what is owe in back pay in the child support as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back