Deadbeat Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

kackwood1

So after the birth of my daughter and desicion to give her my last name, the bio-father refuses to sign birth certicate and has yet to show up for either child support hearing which is now awaiting trail.The case was opened in july of 2005 and finally reached the schedule desk in March. Both hearings were set two weeks apart and it has now been overtwo months since hearing anything. Till this day bio-dad has done nothing except the $40. for diapers in July 05. Since April 2005 my ex has been there for me and my daughter and has taken on all tasks that a father should. He now wants to put his name on her birth certificate and legally be her father. So do I wait for child suppot to send a date or how do I go about taking the rights that bio-dad has yet to use to this date and make my ex her legal father? thanks in advance for any feedback.;) ;)

Are you remarried and is your husband willing to adopt? That is the only way you can terminate the bio dad's rights.

Unless you are re-married you are stuck dealing with the bio dad. It is time to face the facts he might not ever come around. You can force him to become a father, but not a dad.

So be advised you can chase him for child support, he then will want to see the child and so determine if dealing with him as worth it.

On another note, you have the right to give the child your last name. However, don't expect the father to like it or want to be a dad because of it. IMO, if you want the dad to be involved then the child should be given his last name. If you give gim your last name, that just makes want Dad to disappear even more.

So if I'm not married and the dad doesnt want to be in the childs life can he willingly giv e up his rights if I agree to drop any means of collecting future child support.

No, like I said, he cannot terminate rights unless you are remarried and your husband, not boyfriend or exboyfriend, adopts.

If you get married in the future then you can address this. Until then, you do not have to chase him for support if he is going to be a headache. If you go on state assistance then the state will try to recover the money from the dad. Since you had a baby with a deadbeat all you can do is try to do the best you can as a single mom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back