CHNV

When an applicant for the CHNV program (Processes for Cubans, Haitians, Nicaraguans, and Venezuelans | USCIS) provides a designated sponsor/supporter's info, will that US citizen potentially be held legally or financially liable in any way?

The sponsors of foreign individuals are responsible for providing support for the foreign individual they sponsor if the foreign individuals do not have sufficient support on their own. The USCIS states that:

When submitting Form I-134A, you must establish that you have enough income and assets to maintain the intended beneficiary and the rest of your household. If you cannot establish that you can financially support the beneficiary, you may use a co-supporter. If you are filing Form I-134A with a co-supporter, they are subject to the same financial evidentiary requirements and should submit financial evidence such as bank statements, a letter from their employer, and income tax returns. A co-supporter does not have to be a family member and does not file their own Form I-134A, but they do have to demonstrate the ability to assist in supporting the beneficiary for the duration of the parole period. In this case, you will file the Form I-134A and include supplementary evidence demonstrating the identity of, and resources to be provided by, the co-supporter and attach a statement explaining the intent to share responsibility to support the beneficiary. We will assess the collective ability to support a beneficiary.
The Form I-134A is the form the sponsor submits declaring that the sponsor will support the foreign individual and along with the form the sponsor must provide proof of financial ability to provide that support.

The U.S. does not want foreign persons entering the U.S. and then promptly applying for government benefits. Understandably the American taxpayer would have a problem with that use of their money.

Back