Child custody/visitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

mom2kennadi

This is going to be long and confusing, so I am going to appoligize in advance!

The situation is between my husband, step son and his son's mother and grandmother. They share legal custody of the son who is now 10 years old. The mother however has physical custody. She is unemployed, and only stays at the home of her mother (the grandmother) once and awhile - but leaves my step son there all the time. In a sense, his grandmother is acting as the "parent' with no legal custody. All of his school things, records and contacts with the teachers, she controls. We live out of state, so half of the things that go on, we never even know about. My husband has tried several times to do something about this, but everyone tells him that unless thier is proof then thier is nothing they can do. I know for a fact that thier is drug use by both the mother and the grandmother. His grandfather has attempted suicide on several occaisions ... what do we do?????

Now, because my step son has been doing boy scouts they haven't allowed us to have our visitation. We were supposed to have him all of spring break this year, and they wouldn't allow him to come because of boy scouts. Last weekend my husband went to pick him up for his visitation, and the grandmother had left with him. When he went to the police they told him to call his attorney. We don't have the money for an attorney, but I know that when thier are court orders for visitation - they have to be followed. What do we do from here to enforce these visitations? How do we hold the mother in contempt for not allowing them and how do we take them to court to have them enforced?

It's just a mess - and everyone that I talk to tells me the same thing - get a lawyer. Is there some kind of service that helps veterens?

Thank you for all your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back