Shifty Mother-in-law Does it Again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SheilaRR

Jurisdiction
Ohio
It all started last November 22, 2023 when we were mid-divorce and he upped and died. My Legal Aid attorney's office wasn't notified until December 5th, 2023. In that interval, my brother-in-law cleaned out the house. The divorce was to be no-fault, but since he was no longer here, I should have been given the opportunity to retrieve the furniture and personal possessions I wasn't able to take with me to the DV shelter I ended up at.

However, while scouting through court records, I find the paperwork for the car, and it's his mother submitting it and it was for sale or transfer of a vehicle. His mother had given him a blank check for the first vehicle he bought after the beat up, old truck, in 2016. The title was in his name only. He was a sociopath and thought he'd live forever (drugs cut that notion short). He didn't have a will. From what I could figure out, he wasn't authorized to sign legal papers without his mother signing also.

Moving on. My attorney's office had me contact the court to see if they had him there. They did so I requested a copy of the death certificate. When it arrived, I saw his mother's handiwork again. I called the crematorium and set the record straight. Carolyn, his mother, had told them he was divorced and not remarried. I told them that if that was true I would have my previous lastname back, he can't be divorced while I'm stuck with his last name. So they fixed it and charged me another $27 for the corrected version.

However I doubt seriously she bothered to get a corrected copy and presented the first, wrong one, to the courthouse to have the title over. It sucks when you marry a sociopath whose mother is one as well. Oh, and she's a millionaire several times over and she's never done any good with it.

Back to the car. It was a 2014 Toyota Highlander hybrid. I think he let me drive it a handful of times in the 6 years we lived together. He died 13 days before our 9th anniversary. What I found in the papers at the courthouse though was jaw-dropping! Mind you she's not beneath paying for court decisions to go her way. I know from past experience.

What the paper for the sale/transfer of a vehicle had entered on it was for March of this year, 2002 Acura. I did a doubletree on that one as yes, she named Geoff as the previous owner and he wasn't in Ohio in 2002, and since I knew him, 2014, and moved to Ohio that June, it was in his green truck.

More than likely, since she stands about a foot and a half shorter tha my 5'5", the Highlander was made for tall ppl. Geoff was 6'3", brother-in-law is taller. Ihad to put the seat forward and down and barely reached the pedals. But then to wait til March? No idea where it was kept and the VIN # would be a giveaway. I live in a small, rural town without public transportation and Ubers are expensive. His mother could have at least given me the car so I could get a smaller vehicle.

I'm even having trouble making a copy of my marriage license for some reason. It has a number but the link for the pdf goes nowhere.

I guess what I'm asking of ya'll is is there anything to be done about the fraudulent information entered on those forms?

Separate question: I received the paperwork for Probate on my dad, Texas 1994. I can't seem to get them to tell me, one page refers to 'See Exhibit A", and I'm guessing that Exhibit A lists the contents of my dad's estate which I need to file more paperwork. If the clerk of the County doesn't have it, ya'll have any idea where I'd look?

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back