Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft wrongly accused for shoplifting

Status
Not open for further replies.

ladykarma

I was shopping at a store and bought 300$ worth of stuff, including 3 sets of socks.
when I was walking out I was told I didn't pay for one of the pairs. I was genuinely surprised and told them I was sorry and would pay for it right away. They had it on camera that I did not pay for everything but the socks. The socks were always in the shopping cart. I never tried to hide them. I never put them in my purse.
They asked me why I took the tags off and I explained to them I tried them off and also I measured the two sizes as M and S looked the same. They have this on video where I try the socks on and also measure them.

They did not believe me. They yelled at me. Threatened to handcuff me. They told me I was banned from going into the store again. Police were called but I did not get charged by them.

I was told that if I complained to customer services or tried to appeal this, they would come after me and make sure I get charged.

I don't know what to do. I am so scared and traumatized from the experience. I can't stop crying.

I want an apology from the store but don't know what to do.

Sorry I meant to say they had it on camera that I had paid for everything but the socks. Sorry for the typo.

Since you were not charged the "simple" solution is to just not shop there anymore. You can complain to corporate, which is sounds like they a fearful of that. They can file a criminal complaint even though Police did not file charges and if Da accepts you will face theft charges

They can still charge me? i don't get it!

They told me that I will have to pay a fine. they asked me to sign papers that were not filled out but I was so scared to ask them what they were for. Anytime I asked anything I was yelled at.

The fine is a "civil" action called "Civil Demand" if you tell me the value of the unpaid for socks we can "guess" at amount fo fine

The socks wer 10$.

I want to go to corporate because I did not intend to steal the socks. I was in a rush to go home.

I was told I would be getting a mail with the file from a private company. I was told the fine can be anywhere from 100$ - 1000$.

When I asked them I wanted to appeal everything that was happening. I was told that I was being let go on and for return I was not to complain about the incident to customer services.

The fine will likely be between $50.00 to $150.00 dollars. Now I am not saying do not complain an dif the store files the charges the DA might reject it as Police did. However keep this in mind stores hear "real" shoplifters say "they forgot" nearly everytime. It makes you cold to possiblity someone might be telling truth. Legally anytime you take unpaid for merchandise outside of store or pass last point of sale its theft. No one can read you rmind on whether or not you intended to steal

I want an apology for the way they yelled at me and treated me. I was threatened. I even overheard one of them refer to me as "the bitch". This is not appropriate.

Anytime I have ever accidently walked out I have gone back and paid for it. If I had realized I did not pay for the socks I would have gone back and paid for it. I go to this store all the time.

My argument is..I bought 3 other pair of socks. I spent nearly 300$, why would I not pay for the extra pair?!?!

It was clearly an accident.

In your preception is was an accident and I am not saying it wasnt it just need to understand what they deal with everyday as well. However your right there is no call for them to verbally abuse you. You hav eone recourse and that is corporate. Please remember the corporate office is under no obligation to act on your complaint although I suspect they will

Just as an example many shoplifters both professional and amature pay for items while stealing others. It very simple to return items later so they have spent nothing and stole what they wished

I am willing to get a lawyer to get an apology and have the tresspass restriction lifted.

I will even go to the media about how I was verbally abused by the staff and threatened with physical abuse.

Do you think the corporate head office will take this seriousely?

I know you are being devils advocate, but I feel helpless and traumatized.

I can't sleep or eat. All I want to do is cry. I am scared to leave my house because I think the guy who verbally abused me will be outside. It sounds pathetic, I know.

I seriously doubt the media will give you any attention. Also, pay for a lawyer and you may not even get anything lifted.

I know it sucks, but you removed an item from the store without payment. Merchant statutes allow them to stop you and identify you. They can CD you, Trespass you and charge you. You are innocent until proven guilty, and in court, their eyewitness testimony, video and other evidence will convict you.

You can do whatever you want, but I seriously doubt that anything will happen. Just take this as a learning experience and move on. Be more assertive when out shopping. Obviously, they were watching you as you shopped through the store, you weren't picked at random.

Chalk it up and move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back