Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft wrongfully accused!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitad25

I was charged with misdemeanor larceny in a county in NC that I do not live in. I did not have an attorney because I could not afford it and did not want to prolong the case with a court appointed attorney because I knew that I was not the one stealing and that someone used my name because this is not the first time that it has happened. The employee identified me stating that it was me that he caught stealing in a *******. I informed the court that he is mistaken and asked did he have video proof showing this. He did not. The judge found me guilty and sentenced me to 2 years probation and to pay restitution and court fees. I am seven months pregnant and cannot afford to pay that and I feel that I should not because they are mistaken. The arresting officer was not in court and only way I found out about these charges was due to me receiving legal advertisements in the mail. I filed an appeal but I don't know where to go from there. I found out today that it was a family member of mine that used my name because she has warrants that she is trying to evade. I want to inform the court of this but she will not come forward. It is making my case really hard because at the time she was caught she was pregnant but other than that we look nothing alike. What should I do?

Theres nothing you can do. You made the mistake of not having legal counsel to protect you. Unless you can show new evidence to prove your innocence you cannot get a new trial. If you did get new trial its unlikely you could get Public Defender. If your having issues paying your fine go back to court and request a payment plan that fits your budget. I am sorry this is happening but there is little you can do now

You say you can not afford an attorney ... though, you can plainly see what NOT Having an attorney and not accepting appointed counsel is costing you. Now, you have to try to appeal a case and I'll wager you have NO IDEA how to conduct an appeal, do you?

Now is the time to take out a loan, get a credit card with a high enough balance, borrow, or even beg for money and get that attorney on tap.

Apparently you failed to mount a defense, so the judge had little choice but to find you guilty. And, an appeal, has to be for cause it can't be because you did not like the end result. If you chose not to have counsel, you can't appeal for having ineffective counsel, so you will need some expert help to wade through that swamp.

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back