wrongfull eviction and underpayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

majin316

me and my dad were homeles jumping from piller to post when a friend of mine turned me and my dad on to a friend of his that had a complex that was being redun due to katrina he told my dad that we could stay there rent free and payed 300 a week to watch the place till it was up and runing and when it was dun we were going to me the people to cut the grass keep up with the grounds and pluming ,elc and so forth 6 months go by we have lots of people living here now and hes still paying my dad under minumem wage and we added up the rent,cabel,water and elc with the 300 a week and its still under the wages now its december 21 and hes evicding us with out 3 months pay and booting us out for xmass what can we do about this??? plezz help we have no place to go and now no money to boot!!!

It sounds like the sooner you begin looking for new employment and a new place to live the better. Even if you fight the eviction and remain there you will have a soured relationship with the owner and things will not improve.

The 300/wk was agreed to and it sounds as if it has been paid. You may not have much to argue about there.

As for the eviction, there is a formal process to follow. You are not required to go anywhere until ordered to by a judge. if that hasn't happened then you won't be going anywhere at Christmas. Use the time that you have left to secure a new residence and place of employment.

Neither you nor your father were considered hourly employees and thus the minimum wage guidelines do not apply here.

You also indicated that part of the deal is that you get to live there rent free, then you comment about the cost of rent. Do you pay rent? My father was a janitor for many years; the deal on one of the three buildings he managed was that we got to live in a basement unit rent free. The wages for each building were not great but it was evened out by the fact we did not have to pay rent. However, as a manager my dad (and mom; they worked as a team) had to be available pretty much all the time to handle any emergencies that may have come up. He too did not work on an hourly rate.

As previously indicated, a landlord cannot evict anyone. Only a court can do that.

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back