Wrongful speeding ticket on my record.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyc1287

I am shopping around for car insurance and found out today from my agent that there is a paid speeding ticket (60mph in a 55mph zone) on my record that was issued on 6/10/10 and paid on 7/16/10.

I never got a speeding ticket but, I did get a ticket for a prohibited turn on 6/10/10, which I paid via check through the mail on 7/17/10 (so how could it have been paid on 7/16/10?). Also, I was told by the judge that no points were going to be issued to me since I HAD a clean record.

I trashed the actual physical ticket itself after I wrote the check and mailed it, but I do have the ticket number, date, amount, etc. in my check book carbon copy. I also checked my online bank statements and the check was cashed by the court on 7/28/10.

I would like to have this fixed but I'm afraid that I won't be able to prove that this phantom speeding ticket was never issued to me. And who would I speak to about this? Please give me some advice. I'm so upset and confused...

This easy.

Go in person to the court.

Explain the situation to the court clerk.

Ask the clerk if they could research the ticket in question.

The ticket could have been entered in error.

Until the information is retrieved nothing can be done.

Pay them a visit and see what you can discover.

Your insurance company probably just does not know what the code is that they are looking at. They see that you had a ticket and may just assume it was speeding. If you go to the court you can have this information verified... or maybe even your DMV office.
The prohibited turn is also a moving violation though, and it likely effects the points the same as the speeding ticket would.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back