Wrongful medical treatment leading to PTSD

AngelinaR1912

Jurisdiction
California
Hello there,
I wanted to put my situation out in order to see if there would be a case or not. This past July I went to the Emergency Room to be treatment for consistent migraines. I was aware that I would not be able to see my primary care doctor for some time due to the influx of patients needing care during these times.
I went to the Emergency room of a hospital under my insurance. There, I informed them that I was having consistent migraines, day in and out, which led me to feel nauseous and unproductive. I also noted that I am missing work to seek out help for this issue as it has impacted how I work. After a serious of questions of my situation, the next solution was to give me an IV, asked if I was allergic to any medications, which I replied "no", and received 4 vials of different medications. I became immediately sluggish, my eyesight was completely blurry, I was unable to speak and I essentially felt drugged. I could bare sleep due to having consistent panic attacks. When I informed the nurse to the best of my low abilities at the time that the medications did not help me, I feel worse and something feels wrong, I was ignored then told to not panic, it is normal and it will go away. I later found out I was given an Antipsychotic, amongst other things. Since this visit, I have reached out for help from a therapist due to the fact that I have dissociating and having frequent panic attacks which is not something I experienced before. We came to the conclusion, as well as became aware of what medications were given during this encounter in the ER, and was told it is likely I suffer from PTSD due to this visit as well as dissociate.
I am not sure if this is a case, but I feel as if my story should be heard. It is not fair nor right in any circumstance to have been given a serious medication, one in which I did not consent to be given and now have to suffer the psychological and physiological damage due to this encounter in the ER. Due to this ER visit, I have complications when I am around anyone in the medical field, in a doctor's office, etc and it has impacted numerous aspects of my life. I would love to speak further about this situation and possible case.

Thank you so much for your time,
Angelina

I'm sorry, but this is not a referral board. This board is for generalized legal information. For specific legal advice, you should seek the assistance of a medical malpractice attorney. However, your best bet may be, at this point, to seek the help of medical professionals to determine what is actually going on, because what you describe wouldn't cause PTSD for the average person.

Please note that a "therapist" cannot diagnose a medical condition. You should speak to a medical doctor.

Therapy is designed to treat you not cure you. As long as the therapist collects a fee you'll be treated, not cured.

Get yourself to an MD who specializes in pharmaceutical complications.

Get proper medical help.

When your condition is resolved you can think whether it's worth litigating.

By the way, the Emergency Room is the absolute worst place to go when you are sick.

This past July I went to the Emergency Room to be treatment for consistent migraines.

It's probably worth pointing out that "consistent migraines" is not the sort of thing for which it is appropriate to go to an emergency room.

the next solution was to give me an IV, asked if I was allergic to any medications, which I replied "no", and received 4 vials of different medications. I became immediately sluggish, my eyesight was completely blurry, I was unable to speak and I essentially felt drugged. I could bare sleep due to having consistent panic attacks.

This last sentence seems out of place and inconsistent with the rest of what you posted. Why would you be sleeping at the emergency room? Also, the inability to sleep because of "consistent panic attacks" seems inconsistent with becoming sluggish.

I am not sure if this is a case

I have a feeling there's a LOT more to this story, but a medical malpractice claim cannot be intelligently evaluated based on the information provided. At a bare minimum, one would need an objective recitation of the symptoms you presented at the emergency room and to know exactly what medication you were given.

Back