Wrongful Eviction

Candi117

Jurisdiction
North Carolina
Evicted from my home by police due to Landlords Property foreclosure. I was given no notice to move by anyone prior to this nor any formal eviction took place. Formal nor informal. The police showed up at my door at 5:30 on a Friday evening after work out of the blue and ordered me to the end of the street . No documentation no questions could be asked.. It all happened out of the blue.The lady in the clerks office told me that is perfectly legal for this to happen at the drop of a hat here in Rutherford county North Carolina. told me that the tenant protection act nor any North Carolina state laws pertain to me because I did not present a copy of my lease to the clerk of court and request if I'll be opened in my name and such life they placed into this file the day that I came here three years ago. The real estate company overseeing for the bank had refused to let me get any of my belongings from this property. I have talked with a very inexperienced attorney at Pisgah legal services who has no time for my questions and tells me she does not know what I should do. I know this cannot be legal. How can they just rip me out of my home after work one day with no notice whatsoever and just throw me on the street and keep everything I own?? I have worked on my life, raised for successful children and always paid my way and always paid my way no matter how many jobs I had to work to be sure my children had what they needed and more, only to come home from work to be told to get out and that everything I own is no longer mine over something I had no control over and did not know about? is this how tenants are removed upon foreclosure of a rental property? People have just been driving up and going in and howling my things away. Thieves. They have removed and take it to the scrap yard two lawn tractors for window air-conditioning units which were room size and two that were large 25,000 and above BTU unit as well as a fully drivable RV that was being restored in numerous other smaller items. I don't know what's going on here or what to do about this the officer was extremely rude and everything I own is on this property as well as everything my son owns our parents ashes are out there. everything. How can this be and how can it be that I'm just supposed to take my one pair of pants and walk away after years of being here? The Real estate representatives knew I was here because they had been here before about a month before because they pulled in my driveway and saw me standing there and backed out quickly and the officer that did this had been here one time before to serve a civil summons on the property owner and I had a conversation with him and let him know she no longer lived here and told him where she lived therefore he knew I lived here too but regardless he told me he had already called animal control to Come assist him getting me off of this property so yes he knew I was leaving there. They all knew we lived leaving there. But regardless this is not right and I know it cannot be. I have never heard of such outlandishness happening to anyone ever. Every law I have read says that this is not legal. I cannot afford to retain a private attorney and I need guidance I need help in a bad way and I have become homeless at the drop of a hat for no reason other than the property went back to apparently the bank. I rent month to month and have for a few years now. I have not been told to look for a place to take my mobile home or anything at all by anyone I have my home out there,two cars, and everything I have ever owned is out here and they tell me now that that's just too bad. I have never been homeless I've always paid my way and now they're trying to make me homeless and keep every single thing I've ever owned?? They have ruined my life I am 52 years old in Rutherford county in North Carolina and I have never in my life had to call the suicide hotline until now and i find myself calling 2to3 times a week. I'm trying to stand up for myself but I have absolutely no idea how. I am desperate for help. Thank you and I look forward to hearing from someone very soon as I'm about to lose my mind. I am hysterical.

Frankly, you are going to need an attorney to help you - this is not something that an internet forum will be able to help you with. I wish you the best of luck in resolving this.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to me. Unfortunately that isn't an option for me at this time as this rendered me unable to get back and forth to work due to my broken down vehicle being locked inside the gate to my home and a tow driver having no access to it in order to take it to repair shop. This has completely ruined my life and undermined everything I've ever stood for as a parent and ever tried to teach my children about life as I am now before them and the rest of the world-Tired and completely Defeated and unable to show my children what to do should they ever come face to face with this or a similar situation. That's what led me here.

Your post is too long for most people.

The questions that come to mind:
Did you have a lease executed before the foreclosure started?
How many units in the complex (or is it just a single family)?
Did you have your lease recorded with the county registrar of deeds?

Back