Drug Crimes, Substance Abuse Wrong place, Wrong time....or set up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

magusti87

Ok, so my house and I were in the middle od separating and I moved in with a family member and his 'friend' of 7 years suggested a house that he saw for rent for him to move. My husband went to look at the house, saw a for rent sign and called the number. The guy at the other end of the line told him that if he wanted to look at the house, the left side was available to rent and there was a key in the planter next to the door. So my husband decides to rent the place and sent him money to a bank account since he was out of town. Two weeks later my husband was cutting the grass outside and accidentally clipped a line and had the electric company come to fix it. While he was at the mechanic shop that day the police called him to come back to the house because there was an issue with the electric being used illegally. My husband went to the house to meet the police and was arrested! They implied that he was stealing utilities and that the house looked suspiscious. They asked for a key to get in and who else lived there, so my husband explained the circumstances. The police asked to go inside the house but my husband did not have the key on him at the time, it was still at the shop. He told the officers to get a warrant anyway because he was not the owner and he was not the only resident. So police got warrant and the house ended up being a very organized 'grow house'! So, here we are at nearly a year of going in and out of court waiting for dipositions and evidence. At first the prosecuter offerd 18months jail time and then probation, and then lowered it once we tried to get them to drop all charges. They are now offering a withhold of adjudication on a 'posession with intent to sell' charge with 2 days served and 12month probation and drug testing. My husband is disabled, has never been arrested, never used drugs, and had only been in the house two weeks with corroborating testimony from neighbors. If he takes the deal of 'withhold of adjudication' what does it mean for him when his probation is up in 12 months? Can this be sealed or expunged? Thanks for all of your help!!

He really needs to discuss & ask his questions to his lawyer.

I have no words other than a question. How do people end up in situations such as this? Life isn't that hard.

Buy and rent only from legitimate sources. Stop seeking deals, stop breaking laws, investigate the landlord (like most landlords investigate YOU), and stop buying and renting from that list.

AJ, some people just want the cheapest & easiest way. It doesn't work out & then they come here for help.

AJ, some people just want the cheapest & easiest way. It doesn't work out & then they come here for help.

Cheap NEVER works out.

Deals never work out.

There are NO FREE LUNCHES, or even cheap lunches, without a cost higher than your proposed savings.

I stole a candy bar when I was 5 years old. I stole it from my mom's purse. Brother, did she teach me. She sat with me for two hours explaining why it was wrong. She laid out what happens to thieves. She then asked me how would I feel if she stole my most favorite thing from me? To this day, I can hear my mother's sweet, calm voice lecturing me. Did that ever set me straight. I've never stolen another thing in my entire life. I've never even been tempted. By the way, after all that, she let me keep the candy bar. It was a Hershey's Almond bar. I don't eat any Hershey's products today. Life is funny.

I'm sure everyone as had at least that one moment, that one person that explained it to them.

It sounds like you had a great Mom - I did too.

Me too - great Dad & 2 great brothers (1 still living, 1 deceased 1-2014).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back