1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Write a greivence or sue my attorney.

Discussion in 'Lawyers, Legal Practice, Ethics & the Bar' started by Anna Ford, Jul 14, 2020.

1. Anna Ford

Anna Ford Law Topic Starter New Member

Jurisdiction:
    Texas
    I had an attorney that was completely incompetent for my franchise case. I lost my case cause he did not turn over our evidence to the two other opposing attorneys. I found this out from the opposing attorneys after he dropped me 1 mo. before trial I never met this lawyer, after 15 months and lots of money. He has also broken every ethics rule.

2. Tax Counsel

Tax Counsel Well-Known Member

I suggest you consult an attorney in your state who handles legal malpractice cases. Most such attorneys give free initial consultations and the attorney can tell you if you have a good case to pursue or not. I'd wait to file a complaint with the State Bar of Texas since you might say something in the complaint that could hurt any later litigation against the attorney.

3. zddoodah

zddoodah Well-Known Member

You can have another lawyer review your case and advise you, and you're free to make a grievance if you like.

4. Anna Ford

"Write a grievance or sue my attorney" "that's the question" then you read the description. I am simply looking for opinions or suggestions. Sorry if you did not understand by leaving off the question mark.??

5. PayrollHRGuy

PayrollHRGuy Well-Known Member

Then your answer is post #2.

But proper grammar and punctuation do help get your point across.

6. zddoodah

The following is from the other thread that you started on this same topic (which likely will be deleted and/or combined with this one).

As I explained previously, if you had a lawyer for 14/15 months in a case that got a month away from trial and you never met him, but that's on you.

It is not possible to conclude with certainly based on this rant whether your attorney did anything improper. However, as you've been told twice previously, you certainly can have another attorney review the matter and advise you, and you're free to make a grievance if you like.

7. Anna Ford

Please explain how "Sorry, but that's on you" I tried to meet with him, don't most attorneys want to meet their clients? So in my grievance, if I mention this, the attorney did not want to meet me face to face that's going to make me look like what? Bad??

8. Zigner

Zigner Well-Known Member

You may want to avoid the hyperbole in whatever you do. Your claim that he "...has broken every ethics rule" makes you sound less than rational.

9. Zigner

Zigner Well-Known Member

To clarify the above: Making wild claims such as this only makes the rest of your claim(s) seem less credible.

10. zddoodah

Why did you hire the lawyer without having an opportunity to meet him? You didn't really tell us what the case was about. However, I have a very hard time understanding why, if you tried to meet the lawyer and he refused, you would have hired him in the first place or why you didn't fire him and hire someone else after you tried to meet and he refused.

That's not to say he also wasn't in the wrong (about this issue or others). However, we can only respond based on what you told us, and here's the sum total of what you told us on this one issue:

1. "I never met this lawyer."
    2. "Had this lawyer for 14 months never met him face to face."

Now, for the first time, you're telling us that you tried to meet with him (although you didn't tell us what efforts you made). When you provide incomplete information, it inhibits folks' ability to provide useful responses and may result in conclusions that wouldn't be warranted if all relevant facts were presented.

Additionally, your original post included obvious hyperbole: "He has also broken every ethics rule." Every ethics rule? Really? Including stuff like that makes everything else you write suspect.

Bottom line is that no one here is in a position to judge your lawyer's alleged conduct.

Highwayman and justblue like this.