would like advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travgrl

Any help I can get with this matter would be greatly appreciated.

I have lived in the same apartment building for the past 8 years. By and large, I have been very happy there.

About a year and a half ago, the building hired a new manager and a "management company". The area where we live has become quite a popular place to live and the owner of our building is very much aware of the fact that he could raise the rents considerably for new tenants -- he cannot raise them any more than is allowed right now due to rent control.

Members of this "management company" have been overheard and seen pointing at certain units (including my own) while talking to our current manager and asking "what's the story with THAT tenant? how about THAT one?" -- while at the same time talking about how much they could increase the rent if we moved out and they got a new tenant, etc.

The managers leave notes on the doors, threatening to serve pay or quit notices if we don't pay rent by 11:30pm on the 1st of every month, etc. My lease agreement - signed years ago - states that I have until 8pm on the 3rd of the month or the rent is considered late at that point.

I am afraid they are just looking for reasons to get rid of some of us. I am a responsible tenant who takes care of my place and pays my rent on time. I am tired of getting these notes on my door and I'm tired of feeling like I'm being watched all the time.

My boyfriend occasionally stays at my apartment and has a key. Am I legally able to give him a key to my apartment? Is it against the law to give him my entry code to the building? I am asking because I'm afraid these are the kinds of things they are watching now.

I don't know what the lease says but it seems to me that you probably have a good read on the situation. What you may want to do is write a letter, certified return receipt, stating exactly what you state here with regard to the notes they leave on your door regarding their incorrect position regarding when the rent payments are due. You may also want to allude to overhearing their conversation identifying you as a rent controlled tenant by the company regarding a rent raising expedition and that since then the treatment of you has been less than satisfactory.

Regarding the rules of the establishment, I'd take another good look at your lease. You may not have a problem but the rules all flow from that document and it should be your guide.

Originally posted by Travgrl
Any help I can get with this matter would be greatly appreciated.

I have lived in the same apartment building for the past 8 years. By and large, I have been very happy there.

About a year and a half ago, the building hired a new manager and a "management company". The area where we live has become quite a popular place to live and the owner of our building is very much aware of the fact that he could raise the rents considerably for new tenants -- he cannot raise them any more than is allowed right now due to rent control.

Members of this "management company" have been overheard and seen pointing at certain units (including my own) while talking to our current manager and asking "what's the story with THAT tenant? how about THAT one?" -- while at the same time talking about how much they could increase the rent if we moved out and they got a new tenant, etc.

The managers leave notes on the doors, threatening to serve pay or quit notices if we don't pay rent by 11:30pm on the 1st of every month, etc. My lease agreement - signed years ago - states that I have until 8pm on the 3rd of the month or the rent is considered late at that point.

I am afraid they are just looking for reasons to get rid of some of us. I am a responsible tenant who takes care of my place and pays my rent on time. I am tired of getting these notes on my door and I'm tired of feeling like I'm being watched all the time.

My boyfriend occasionally stays at my apartment and has a key. Am I legally able to give him a key to my apartment? Is it against the law to give him my entry code to the building? I am asking because I'm afraid these are the kinds of things they are watching now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back