Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Would I be charged with shoplifting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilac

I did something stupid yesterday. I went to store to buy some bed sheets after work because I'll have guests coming over next week. I looked around the store couldn't find anything with good quality until I saw this sheets set on clearance rack. It was about $70 with clearance tag. The bag was obviously opened before so I could put in one finger to feel the fabric. I like it and decided to buy. Then I saw a same color sheet was loosely lying on the rack. I instantly thought it was from the bag I was holding before the whole sheet set seems to be so loose in that bag. I first checked the rack thoroughly try to find a unopened package. The rack was a mess and I couldn't find any. There was no store employee in sight and I already felt tired after whole day's work. So I decided to stuff the loose sheet in the bag and it fit well. I took the sheet set and picked up some bath towls and went to check out. I paid around $100 finally and left the store. It suddenly occured to me that the loose sheet may not belong to my bag on my way driving back home. I opened the bag first thing after I arrived home. It was true I got an extra sheet in that bag. I never intended to steal it and it is here. I wanted to bring it back to the store immediately. But I really worried if they are gonna believe me. Also if I keep quiet, will they trace me back and charge me for shoplifting when they find out later? I don't know if they have video camera in the store. What should I do?
This morning I couldn't stand the feeling of guilt, so I went back to store first thing in the morning and returned the extra sheet. I didn't give detailed explanation. Just told I found there was an extra sheet in the pack and I'd like to reture. Anyway, I gave things don't belong to me back just for peace of mind.
My concern would be will they charge if they had the video footage of me stuffing the sheet in the bag? I am so scared.

If they were going to charge you I think they would have done so then. Odds are your safe

Do you think I was being stupid to try to do the right thing by returning the stuff? Because if they do have video, it just gave them proof that I did have the stuff. Anyway it tore me apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back