Alcohol & Drugs: DUI, DWI Wisconsin dnr owi violation and what does it mean to a Minnesota drivers license?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rossm8

A couple of weeks ago I received a dnr owi violation after being thrown from a snowmobile. Someone trying to be helpful called the ems since I had injured my legs and head. We rode home and 30-60 minutes later the sheriff arrived, that's when we found out the ems was looking for us to try to help. After the sheriff was there for a little while he decided to charge me with an owi (he asked if I had been drinking since we returned home and I affirmed this but he refused to accept the answer). We complied with his requests and went through going to the station and taking the breathalyzer. According to the sheriff the violation does not affect your drivers license ( he was certain of this for Wisconsin drivers but less sure how the state of Minnesota will vue this).

I have talked to 2 lawyers and one believed mn will look at this a a driving violation, the other lawyer didn't believe it would. In either case I'm looking at 3-5k according to their estimates to fight it or paying a 650.00 fine.

I contacted the sheriffs office to view a copy of the arrest report but they refused to release it directing me to the county court. The county court stated they won't receive it unless I plead not guilty and to contact the sheriffs office for a copy.

I have a week to decide what is the best course of action, the biggest point to me is protecting my license since its vital to my work.

Any advice would be welcome on the best course of action.
Thank you

I guess a second question would be can i file a not guilty plea by mail and how long prior to the initial court date would I need to file the plea?

You may not have much luck fighting it. Alcohol takes time to get into your system. Unless your BAC was VERY close to the limit you may have a losing argument. If you opt to fight it then your lawyer, whether hired or appointed by the court, will handle everything for you. There is no "filing" for you to do.

Look into filing a Demurrer, Wi is not part of the drivers license compact so it may not affect your WI license, there will not be any points accessed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back