window tint company damaged my truck

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikedown

i had 2 windows on my truck tinted in july, this guy was doing a car in my neighbor hood and i stopped and got a price from him and asked if he could do my truck that day, he said he could, he had a company truck with company graphics on it that made him look professional. when he finished i paid him cash and he said he was out of reciept forms but gave me his business card and said that was all i needed if i had any problems. i looked closer after he left and found where he had melted my side mirror and burnt the door moldings with his heat gun. i called his business the next morning and got a machine and left a message, never got called back. i called again the following monday and talked with the owner and he said he would send a guy out to see the damages, he never showed up, i called again and got the guy who did the job and he said he knew nothing about this that the owner had left on vacation, so this guy made an appointment with me for the weekend, he didn't show up either. i sent many e-mails to the business and the owner wrote me back saying he was out of town for the next 3 months and would call me when he got back, never did i called them with no response. i sent them a demand letter with pictures of damages. the last e-mail i got from the owner says i didn't follow there policy of making an appointment in the beginning on the phone and i don't have a receipt so he won't pay me anything. i sent a quote to him from a body shop for over $400 for damages. would i stand a chance in small claims court without a receipt?

A receipt will help, but there are other ways for you to prove the work was done. I suppose you learned a lesson about paying cash and not getting a receipt. When he told you he did not have a receipt you should have given a check or gone to their office.
I suspect the guy that did the work pocketed the money since the employer did not send him to do the work and the employer knows nothing about it, however you can still hold the employer responsible since the guy was working for him.
I suspect you might get more of a response from him when you serve his business with papers. Save all your email correspondence with them, and anything you have in which they acknowledged having done the work. You can even go into the office to discuss it and carry a recorder in your pocket. See if you can get them to say anything that confirms the work was done, that way they can't back out later in court.

thanks for responding, so are you saying i do stand a chance? if this guy does not live in the area but is an absentee owner, do i still file in his name or can i just file against the company name? i have never done this before. i would not want to go into his place of business because it is in a shady part of town. will the court house help me with filing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back