Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Will the police protect

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeani

My exhusband kidnapped my wolf and best friend of 14 years. I was leaving Guemes Island, Washington for a new job in Las Vegas, Nevada. Because of the heat in August I paid a neighbor to watch my wolf for two weeks until I got a house and then I would come back and get him. My wolf is my friend, I love him very much. He is very attached to me, never wanting to leave my side. I even took him to work with me. Vacations, with me. He is a gentle intelligent animal.

I was only with this idiot for one year out of 5 years of marriage. He is a psycho and has a drug habit ( I found him shooting drugs in the bathroom and left him immediately) Anyway, when I sent him divorce papers he began
his torment of terrible telephone calls at all hours. He has been a theat to me since then.

Anyway he convinced the neighbor that I wanted him to take Mouse (my wolf,s name) and being a private person she knew nothing about him.
It took me 2 1/2 days to get to Vegas and on the 2 day I got a call from him on my cell telling me he had Mouse and wanted $500 to get him back.
I told him I would give him the money just tell me where to find him. Then he began ranting that I am a whore and so forth, about me moving to Vegas and changed him mind saying he would torture Mouse and I would never see him.

I sent him a txt begging him not to hurt Mouse and I would give him more money, he txt me back saying Mouse was hit by a car. I don't believe that, but I do believe Mouse is in danger. I am beside myself in anguish. Mouse depends on me to protect him and take care of him.

I am afraid to call the police because he might talk his way out of this, he is a habitual liar. He can look innocent when he wants to. If they did not arrest him, then my ex would really do something terrible like kill Mouse. Does anyone have any suggestions? I cannot drive there for at least a week because I rented a car to come here and am waiting to cash in some of my stock to buy a car, until next week I don't have the money to get there.

Is it possible that the police would let him go? I can get a dozen people who could tell police Mouse belongs to me. He was born at my house because his mother was my first wolf. I did not even know my ex back then. My wolf doesn't even like Talmer.

Please, I need some advice. I can't sleep thinking he is in harms way.

Jeani

You will need to get a court to sign off on your being the animal's owner. Perhaps as part of the divorce settlement, or as a separate civil action.

Until then, I doubt the police will see this as anything but a civil matter. However, if the police in your home jurisdiction are willing to take a theft report for his taking the dog, the Las Vegas PD MIGHT take the animal into safekeeping as a result of that theft report. But, your local cops will probably see this as a civil matter, too.

- Carl

Thank you for your reply. Even though he tried to extort money from me? I have had Mouse for 14 years, I have only been married to him the past 5 years. Or what about the fact that he threaten violence on my dog? Isn't that against the law? Do you think maybe I should call an agency that protects animals?

Jeani

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply. Even though he tried to extort money from me? I have had Mouse for 14 years, I have only been married to him the past 5 years. Or what about the fact that he threaten violence on my dog? Isn't that against the law? Do you think maybe I should call an agency that protects animals?

Jeani
Do you have proof of the extortion? If he denies it, there really isn't a crime that can be proven. And the Las Vegas police could only act if the police in WA issue an arrest warrant for him.

You have a couple of problems here: Marriage and community property laws (assuming WA is a community property state and you have filed for divorce or separation), different states, and likely differing stories.

It's not going to be easy. You might be better served consulting an attorney at home to find out how best to proceed. I suspect it will be in civil court.

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back