1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Will Shoplifting conviction affect immigration? Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft

Discussion in 'Criminal Charges' started by Quagga, Jun 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quagga

Quagga Law Topic Starter New Member

I was caught shoplifting in South Africa when I was 18 and convicted with a suspended sentence. I am now 35 and have had no arrests or convictions since. I wish to immigrate to the USA with my family, hopefully via an international transfer with the company I currently work for. I was not required to disclose my record when taking my current position.

My questions are:
    1) will my record affect my ability to immigrate and receive a green card etc?
    2) do I need to disclose it to the American branch of the international company I work for?
    3) Will character refrences be of any assistance?

Many thanks, and regards,
    Quagga

2. jacksgal

jacksgal Super Moderator

Yes it very well could
    Does your company request this? Will they do random background checks on current staff?
    Doubtful

You should consult an Attorney familar with imigration law before you do anything else

3. mafioso

mafioso New Member

It could affect you if immigration finds out, and if the offense does not meet the petit crime exception. If it meets the exception, you would be okay.