Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Will I go to jail for a first offense larceny with a clean record?

Kr6432

Jurisdiction
Georgia
I was on a military base where I found an open packaged make up product with no price and was obviously used not sure if it was the sample or not either way I should've asked. I put it in my purse and left. Loss prevention caught up with me called the military police and I was released after being charged with larceny. The product was under $50. I cooperated with them the entire time and they just let me go after signing a document saying I would show up to court when I got the date in the mail. This is my first offense I have nothing on my record and have not done anything like this. My question is when I return for my court date what is most likely to happen. If I were going to go to jail wouldn't they had already taken me? I am a college student and work part time.

You'll PROBABLY be convicted, required to take an honesty or ethics class (sometimes both or something similar), pay fines and costs (don't ask, but you'll be told), required to do about 80-120 hours of community service, put on probation for six months to a year, and that's about it.

You'll also receive a demand to pay a FEE letter from AAFES, MCX, N-BX.
You pay that, too, to help this thing quietly die.

Yes, you'll have a federal conviction, sometimes it'll be bargained down to very low level insignificant DISORDERLY PERSON charge.

You keep doing what you were told to do, and you can avoid jail.

Thank you I deeply appreciate your response.

You'll PROBABLY be convicted, required to take an honesty or ethics class (sometimes both or something similar), pay fines and costs (don't ask, but you'll be told), required to do about 80-120 hours of community service, put on probation for six months to a year, and that's about it.

You'll also receive a demand to pay a FEE letter from AAFES, MCX, N-BX.
You pay that, too, to help this thing quietly die.

Yes, you'll have a federal conviction, sometimes it'll be bargained down to very low level insignificant DISORDERLY PERSON charge.

You keep doing what you were told to do, and you can avoid jail.

Thank you I deeply appreciate your response.

You're welcome, and just tell yourself that you'll stop and think before you act, because you want to make smarter, more appropriate choices.
Also, from this point on until you die, stay away from people who make stupid choices and do risky stuff.

You keep doing that, you'll be just fine.

I am a Retail Theft Consultant and answer questions like yours daily. Talk to a Lawyer and ask about your options. Jail on a first offense with no priors is NOT likely

I am a Retail Theft Consultant and answer questions like yours daily. Talk to a Lawyer and ask about your options. Jail on a first offense with no priors is NOT likely

I don't have a lawyer nor can I afford. When I go to court will they appoint me one if I can not afford one. I was planning on doing an anti theft class online before I went to court don't know if that'll help or not as well. Thank you for your reply I appreciate it.

I don't have a lawyer nor can I afford. When I go to court will they appoint me one if I can not afford one. I was planning on doing an anti theft class online before I went to court don't know if that'll help or not as well. Thank you for your reply I appreciate it.

The class might help, it sure won't hurt.
You can hire a lawyer at your expense, but in this case the court won't appoint one for you.
You were probably cited, and its not criminal, rather some form of "offense", much like a traffic citation.
Don't worry, just wait and show up when you're directed to be there, and you'll learn everything you need to do.

In past I have suggested clients take Anti theft curse offered by not for profit group NASP and this ha smore times than not resulted in lighter sentences.

Back