Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Will I be prosecuted for $10?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boogie

Hi ppl,

Here's how it goes. My store was doing a special where you get a $5 gift card when the customer makes a +$50 transaction. One of the customer I forgot to give them the $5 and they left. I contemplated about using that gift card as a mitigation to purchase a video game for my little brother while I use that 5 for my school payment.

I was called in to meet with the LP and I confessed to using that gift card for my own purchase, and they also caught me grabbing two damaged sodas as well. Those two sodas were damaged and I thought that destroying them would be a waste so I took them home. The total loss is less than $10 but the LP told me to right $10 so I did.

My manager fired me and told me that he's not sure whether the company will prosecute me.

Please tell me if they will take me to court over a small amount? And will they mail me a letter to pay? Am I really screwed when it comes to looking for retail jobs for the next 7yrs? Sigh if I had knew I should've just threw that gift card into the claim bin T_T

Sadly no one can really answer those questions for you. Its up to the store and their policy whether or not they file a criminal complaint. I will say it leans towards no. In most cases when a criminal complaint is filed the Police are contacted right away. Again I dont want to suggest this will be case but if I had to guess (its only a guess) I would say no Police report will be filed. I do suspect you will be asked to either repay store or they might file a Civil Demand request. I really cant say for sure though. Far as working retail if your former employer is a member of the retail theft database then its almost certain your name was inputted. Contact norman jr a trusted member via PM with the store name and he can tell you if your employer is a subscriber to said database. Do not post store name on site only through PM this is for your protection

Thanks for the advise shrinkmaster. $10 is considered an infraction so I don't know whether they will press charge too, and what makes it worse is that it is actually less than $10. I submitted a pm to normanjr as per your advise.

Is it common for civil demand to be warranted out to $10? The store I worked for is a semi big chain. I'll give you guys a heads up if I get one V_V; I'd like to know if I can negotiate the sum if I do get the letter? I used a portion of my last pay for school so I'm scared that I only have enough for either one when its time to pay :(

Ok then, what if I were to seek employment in Restaurants such as a server or a receptionist for small businesses? Will those field of professions see my 'theft' background from retail? I'm just mad applying for jobs at the moment. I don't know how long it takes for my record to be registered as "trust" issue, but I can't stop at the moment. Need the money to pay for school and for the upcoming Civil Demand <_>

"If" your name is in any retail theft database its only viewable to other subscribers. Resteraunts are not normally subscribers. Not being hired does not suggest it because of this theft as there are few job currently

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back