Consumer Law, Warranties will a verbal contract hold in court?

Status
Not open for further replies.

traviesa85

My husband and I leased an apartment under both our names, we had made a verbal agreement with another couple that wanted to move in with us. Their names aren't on the contract because they do not have any form of id in this country. Now the agreement that we had with them was that each couple was to pay for half the rent and half of the utilities. We've been living in the apartment for about 4 months now, they want to move out becaues the claim that they cannot afford it, and because we refuse to have other people living in the apartment to help out with rent, they are going to get their own apartment, but we do not understand if they say they can't afford to pay us how are they going to afford an apartment by themselves, and how are they going to apply if the they are illegal aliens and that is the reason they are not on the contract. we have a voice recording regarding the agreement. can we take them to court, to enforce the oral contract in they move to pay for their half of the agreement?

I'm sorry to hear about your problem. While I think there is a verbal agreement here that you can probably prove, the real problem is whether you will be able to get the money from them ultimately with a judgment. While an agreement is verbal and it is for real estate, it can still be enforceable if it can be proven that an agreement existed and here the length of time is 1 year or less of the agreement to lease. Unless I am mistaken, you should be able to take this to court but hope you have a good ultimate outcome.

traviesa85 said:
My husband and I leased an apartment under both our names, we had made a verbal agreement with another couple that wanted to move in with us. Their names aren't on the contract because they do not have any form of id in this country. Now the agreement that we had with them was that each couple was to pay for half the rent and half of the utilities. We've been living in the apartment for about 4 months now, they want to move out becaues the claim that they cannot afford it, and because we refuse to have other people living in the apartment to help out with rent, they are going to get their own apartment, but we do not understand if they say they can't afford to pay us how are they going to afford an apartment by themselves, and how are they going to apply if the they are illegal aliens and that is the reason they are not on the contract. we have a voice recording regarding the agreement. can we take them to court, to enforce the oral contract in they move to pay for their half of the agreement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back