wife liable for husband's debt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenmeyerjr

I have a basic question. We are going through some marital problems, and my wife says the background problem that is causing them are the debts I have (that she thinks she will have to pay if I die). I have back child support, school loans and a few other debts that she is worried about having to pay, so she thinks divorce will solve that problem (whether we live in the same house or not).

I wanted to know...is a spouse liable for debts such as this? If the debt holder dies, do debt holders such as these go after the other spouse? I know the child support is not part of this problem...but other debts, that I do not know.

I have a basic question. We are going through some marital problems, and my wife says the background problem that is causing them are the debts I have (that she thinks she will have to pay if I die). I have back child support, school loans and a few other debts that she is worried about having to pay, so she thinks divorce will solve that problem (whether we live in the same house or not).

I wanted to know...is a spouse liable for debts such as this? If the debt holder dies, do debt holders such as these go after the other spouse? I know the child support is not part of this problem...but other debts, that I do not know.

She will not be help responsible but YOUR estate will be. Perhaps you could take out an insurance policy in the event of your death your bills will be covered. You should have a policy with your child as the beneficiary without question...

Bay's advice is right on the money (pardon the pun). Get an insurance policy. Your estate will owe the money not your wife. Though she may be counting on that estate. It's never good to be worth too much more dead than alive!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back