Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Wife Caught shoplifting in Macys. However her intention was very clean, not stealing

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajmahesh

Hi my wife yesterday caught shoplifting in macys.
She took some items and keep putting them in the stroller. My 14 months old got very cranky and fussy. so in order to calm her down she went to the fitting room and tried to feed (not breast feeding) her and make her sleep. In the fitting room she kept some of the item in the macys bag (which she was carrying with her) and one jwellery item slipped into her bag. Daughter did not sleep, so she came out and because it was time for her to pickup my older daughter from shcool she started rushing and in rush, she kept some items on the register (whcih she did not buy) and made a payment for just one item. On leaving the store she was caught and charged with Grand larceny>=$200. This is the first time. she is a house wife we have two daughters.
She is saying that her intention was never to steal, but she geniunely forgot that there were some items left in the stroller. If we see all the circumstances, I understand it is very hard to believe. But beacuse she is my wife I have to believe her, she wont lie to me and why wud she?
Also she had around $300 gift cards of the same store, we maintaing good bank balance, we dont have any debt or any bad payment history. we have good credit history. Considering all this there is no way I have to believe that she was stealing.

Both of us have never dealt with caour or court proceedings we have no idea what to expect and not. Also note here that we are not US citizens and our visa is bound to be expiring this month. however we have requested to change our status.

Also note that there are lot of sales going on due to holiday shopping and the person determining the value of the merchandise did not consider the sales price but rather the regular price.

What are our chances of coming clean?
How the proceedings takes place in court? (arraignment? preliminary hearling, bargain plea, diversion, first time offender program etc.)
Can this be reduced to some other charge involving only fine and/or community service
I dont want her to go to jail even for a day, will accept any other punishments in place of that if offerred. what usually happens in such cases.

Jail is very very unlikely. What she needs to do is consult an Attorney and discuss option slike ACD or Diversion. You should also remove store name from your post so its not used against her. I understand she did this by mistake but that story is used by 90% of all shoplifters so it wont be believed

It is unlikely she will actually face charges of grand theft. It is possible she will face charges for a simple petty theft or for concealment, either of which could be handled as infractions rather than as a misdemeanor and not leave her with a criminal record.
With good legal representation she might even be able to make the whole thing go away.
In the future she should not use her stroller as a shopping cart and should never put merchandise where it can not be seen.

My wife worked for Macy's while in college. Some of their biggest thieves were financially comfortable customers who shopped there regularly. It appears your wife has a problem you just became aware of. I would expect more incidences. Foreigners are more prone to this type of behavior in many cases, depending on the country they came from and how desperate they were in their upbringing. I suggest you hire a lawyer for your wife fast, if you want to avoid immigration problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back