Whos Responsible Renter Or Owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

MISSVIRGO79

I recently moved into a house (4 months ago) and have some important repairs that need to be made. My landlord is all about the money, I see him once a month when I pay the rent and the rest of the time he is promising to "send someone out" but they never come. The two biggest problems I have are the central heat and a/c does not work and the house sits on a large corner lot and has a severe pest problem. I have requested (in writing) the repairs be made the first month I moved in, but, I gave it to him in person not by mail so I have no proof. He is obviously not going to willingly make the repairs. Are these problems his responsibility or mine? I dont have a problem paying for the repairs and exterminator upfront myself, however, I want to be assured I have the legal right to be refunded the expenses either in cash or deducted from future rent.

This is a link to an excellent site put together to help a tenant in California. I've attached the information on repairs. Make sure you follow the requirements carefully:

http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/landlordbook/repairs.shtml

In most states, it is a requirement that a landlord provide some source of heat. Air conditioning is not addressed in all state laws and even when it is, it does not specify that this must be provided via a central unit versus "window shakers".

Gail

Question related to above post

I am disabled and on a very low fixed income. I moved into an apartment ther beginning of this month and noted there was a problem with the wall mounted central heat furnace thing. it wouldnt work. I notified the landlord and we went back and forth for days while they sent out various local handymen to try and fix it unsuccessfully. After living in a VERY cold apartment from the 6th to the 9th I get a visit from the property manager and she hands me a letter stating that a professional repair man cannot come look at the furnace until the 16th, and they provided a 1000 watt electric space heater to help keep the place warm (a 900 sq ft 5 room apartment).
The 16th came, the repairman came and couldn't fix the furnace. he said he was going to reccommend replacement. the property manager dropped off the replacement furnace on the 19th. and it has sat in a box in my living room until yesterday. Yesterday a local handyman came and removed the old unit from the wall and left it leaning on the wall also in my living room.
The temps where i am get VERY cold at night (in the high 30's to mid 40s). I am running their 1000 watt space heater constantly and have closed off 2 of the rooms trying to minimize used space. I also purchased a 2nd 1500 watt electric heater and between the two they keep the apartment about 10 degrees warmer than the outside (sometimes i also use the oven to help heat in the morning it is so cold).
I spoke with the electric company and the electric bill for 1/2 a month has already exceeded 200 dollars.

WHEN the unit is finally installed and i have heat (moving is not an option. I have no savings and live month to month), Do i have the right to make the landlord pay for the electric bill in excess of past tenants usual monthly fee? (I have seen the bills, electricity usually ran 40 bux a month) due to the delay in fixing the furnace in a reasonable time as well as her written letter stating they are providing a space heater to help with the evening cold? or am i screwed?

You must give him notice that you will pay for the repairs and deduct them from the rent and give him a reasonable amount of time to fix the problem himself at HIS expense so that you don't have to withhold rent.

However heat/ac is pretty basic, he must repair it. Send him a certified letter that states if he does not repair the problems in 10 business days you will do so yourself and will deduct the total cost from the rent.

Quixnox,

Please copy your post and start your own thread. Click on Landlord-tenant and near the top left of the screen you will see "New Thread." Create your own so that we can stay organized. Someone will answer your question then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back