Who should pay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamieeem

I found a stray rott puppy that had no identification, collar, etc. walking in the street so I took him home with me. He was very malnutritioned, so much so you could see his ribs. He obviously was a case of animal neglect. I had him for a week trying to nurse him to health. My other dogs are older and did not get along with him, so I put up flyers to have him adopted. I found a very loving home for him. Then when the new owner took the puppy to the vet, they found a chip. When the vet contacted the person the chip showed as the owner, she said the dog had been reported missing. The owner had given the puppy to a woman who was making payments to her for him. He was not paid off yet. So now there are 4 people involved in this: Me, the original owner who is trying to have me arrested for selling stolen property if I do not pay her what she says is owed to pay off the rott, the lady she "sold" him to, and the new owners. The people I sold him to want to keep the puppy. The lady the original owner sold the pup to is ok with taking a loss and doesn't want the puppy back. My questions are: Am I responsible for paying off the puppy? Does the original owner still have rights to the puppy since he was running loose when I found him? Can the owner have me arrested for not paying off the puppy? I want the new owners to keep the pup. I will pay what the 2nd owner owes the original owner $150, but she wants me to pay $375. Please give me some advice. ASAP.

Am I responsible for paying off the puppy?
No.
Does the original owner still have rights to the puppy since he was running loose when I found him?
Quite possibly, especially if the person he sold it to had stopped paying.
Can the owner have me arrested for not paying off the puppy?
No.
I want the new owners to keep the pup. I will pay what the 2nd owner owes the original owner $150, but she wants me to pay $375.
That sounds like a fair resolution, but it might not be your decision to make. As between the owner, someone the owner may have sold it to, and you who found it, you are the low person on the totem pole. Finders generally have a duty to restore the lost property to the rightful owner - in this case, either the first owner or the person he sold to. Under your state law, you might be entitled to some percentage of the value of the found property. You could also probably claim to be reimbursed for your expenses in caring for the dog.

That's where you stand legally. Practically, maybe you could convince the first buyer to pay off the remaining balance he owes so he owns the puppy outright, pay him for his expense, and then sell it to the guy you want to sell it to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back