Who is Liable for Repair Costs?

Coach Beard

Jurisdiction
California
I live in a condominium and my building has 3 units, mine being a single level unit but it is elevated above all 3 units garages. The neighbor at the far end of the building discovered a water leak in the drywall of his garage. Above that area is my master bedroom deck, and water heater in a closet.

Long story short:
No visible leak from my unit, The water heater was replaced but was not the source of any leaks and was inspected when replaced along with a water test. Tested the deck, the water heater enclosure and area, any possible culprit
My party hired our own plumber and our own water leak/damage expert to inspect a few weeks later as the situation went on. Several leak/water tests were performed and they were inconclusive as well as no further leaking or damage has occurred in my neighbor's garage.
The HOA hired 2 separate professionals to inspect and produced the same results - no definitive source for the leak, no further leak occurring.

Who is responsible for payment to repair the neighbor's garage drywall that was cut out for inspection, and whatever other demands he had (I have another household member handling the situation since I have been at work during all of these inspections. I'm not familiar with the full requested restitution).

Some folks might say the HOA is responsible since the leak was within the walls
Some folks might say my party is responsible, despite there not being any solid evidence that anything from my unit caused the leak
Some folks might say the owner of the unit with the damage is responsible.

My party had already spent hundreds of dollars in good faith to ensure a thorough and multi-viewed inspection was performed alongside the HOA's vendors. Thank you for your input, or if you could direct me to any case law or statutes I would be appreciative. I am currently reading the CC&R's in detail.

What did your insurance company say when you notified them of this possible claim and/or when the other party filed a claim and/or when you filed a claim?

What Zigner is saying in his odd sort of way is this:

When somebody says to you "My damage is your fault, I want your money" you immediately call your insurance company's claims department (not your agent) and report it. There is probably a toll free phone number in your policy papers. Make the call.

Unless your CC&Rs hold you contractually responsible regardless of fault, if you were not negligent in causing the leak, then neither you nor your insurance should pay and the neighbor can report his damage to his own insurance company.

My insurance has not been involved at this point. I'm not sure overall costs will exceed the deductible by much, and the only repair to be performed at my neighbor's unit is drywall repair as far as I am aware.

I am not aware if the other party has involved their insurance.

Also, thank you for your replies, I look forward to hearing more. This is an odd situation and luckily it didn't seem prudent to file a claim then deal with that and increased rates, etc...

My insurance has not been involved at this point. I'm not sure overall costs will exceed the deductible by much, and the only repair to be performed at my neighbor's unit is drywall repair as far as I am aware.

I am not aware if the other party has involved their insurance.
You don't pay a deductible for someone else's claim against you.

You don't pay a deductible for someone else's claim against you.
Things I learned today. Good to know. Regardless, it doesn't sound like insurance will be getting involved but I will keep that open as an option should it get wild. I just want to be able to say confidently "you can't define the leak, I'm not paying a dime."

Back