Who has more rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

babybadness

This seems to be a trend, but I have found myself victim to it. My ex-boyfriend and I purchased a car, of course we broke up and even though I have a child for him, I allowed him to keep the car. The registration and loan are in both of our names but my name appears first. He pays the note and insurance so I did not have a problem with it. Until now. I have been getting tickets (upaid) in the mail, because my name appears first on the registration, i am being told that I am the responsible party and if left unpaid, I would receive a flag on my incense. After several attempts to get him to pay these fines, I have been unsuccessful. Here is my question.

After I pay the fines and clear myself, can I confiscate the incense plate and turn it over to the DMV until he fully pays the loan and take my name off of the car? or until he can maybe refinance it and take my name off of it? Will he be able to get another registration and legally drive the car without me being the responsible party. I do not want the car, but I want to be clear of it legally. The finance company knows that he is the one paying, but will not do anything about the unpaid fines in my name. Can I legally do this?

You'll be walking a very fine line, if you do what you propose.
Why not just take your name off the title?
Sure, you'll still be on the loan, but not the title.
Besides, as long as there's a lien against the car, the bank owns it anyway.
Until your name is off the title, you're stuck for the fines he amasses.
You can sue him in small claims for all or half of what you pay.
But, that's normally a big waste of time.
It yields no money, because if you prevail, you are stuck collecting from a deadbeat!
I know you've learned a lesson, so don't ever get hooked like this again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back