Corporate Law who claims money from 16yrold defunct non for profit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daughterinlaw

Hoping someone can help. Got a phone call from a lawyer for a new corp. that wants to purchase the name of a non profit corp my fatherinlaw was a member of that was dissolved 16yrs ago. Wants to pay 1000.00 for the 'name' and all assets. Got suspicious. Looked up unclaimed money for state of MI only to find out that the non profit name has over 20,000.00 sitting with the treasurers office of unclaimed money. Who has rights to the money when it was a non profit? Can this lawyer/corp trying to 'buy' the old name and all assets get the money if we sell it?
HELP...and thanks

You best ask the folks who have the money.

It doesn't matter what any of us think.

agreed and would love to...having old archives of members sent to us from state of MI, however, from what I have found out about non profits...any profits upon dissolution must be given back to the state or other non profit type organizations. Members of non profits are not allowed any assets. However, this company (and most members are in their 80's and 90's or decesed) dissolved 16 yrs ago, so I am trying to find out if it is even legal for member(s) to file a claim for it. The money was apparently dividends that were left with an investment firm when the non profit dissolved, who in turn, turned it over to the state of MI when no one claimed it. The corp that contacted us to 'buy' the old non profit name and 'all assets' for 1000.00 must have a clue about something to offer us money or they wouldn't be bothering. So if they can claim it...we are wondering if non profit members from back then are legal to claim it.
Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back