Where do I file?

Status
Not open for further replies.

squash35

I live in Georgia and my car was damaged by a gas station carwash in Georgia. They are refusing liability so I am going to file suit, but the company is headquartered and registered in North Carolina although they have gas stations all over the southeast US. Can I file my suit in the county the incident occurred in or do I have to file in the county of the registered agent for the corp in NC? I really don't want to have to travel to NC for $1400 in repairs.

Go to the Secretary of States web site in Georgia and look up the company here. (I'm in GA too). They must have a certificate of authority to operate a foreign corporation in the state of Ga. That requires they have a registered agent here too. Sue and serve their registered agent here. Gwenette county is a favorite for foreign corporations. I would send a certified letter to the registered agent first telling them you will sue if they do not pay you X amount of dollars. Many times they will fold without a fight. If you sue them they will have to hire an attorney to go to court and that will cost way more than 1400.

Good luck. Contact me again if you need more help.

Also... go back to the car wash and find the sign at the entrance that states that they are not responsible for any damage and also instructs you to take down antennas and fold in your mirrors..... you probably don't have much of an argument to make unless the machine malfunctioned or fell apart on your car somehow. That is a risk you take with automatic carwashes... ans I assure you there will be a sign prominently posted at the entrance.

How was the car damaged? What kind of car was it?

Even with the signs you will be able to get $1400 if you threaten to sue in writing to their registered agent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back