When does the 21 day rule start?

Jurisdiction
California
I got my deposit 28 days after moving out. I turned in my house key on move out date. I forgot to include the pool key and alarm remote but sent them the next week.
My landlord said since I turned in the pool key and alarm key late the 21 days starts from the day she got the keys. Is this correct???

I got my deposit 28 days after moving out. I turned in my house key on move out date. I forgot to include the pool key and alarm remote but sent them the next week.
My landlord said since I turned in the pool key and alarm key late the 21 days starts from the day she got the keys. Is this correct???

Probably, but you'll need to research CA laws to know for sure.

Assume she was incorrect, and you disagree.

Your remedy lies in a small claims court in your county.

Until the matter has been adjudicated, anything else is just jibber jabber!

Do I understand correctly that you received your deposit refund, but your question is about the fact that it came 7 days late?

It's 21 days from the date you "vacate the premises." Having the pool key and the alarm key means you did not "vacate the premises" so, yes, the 21 days starts from the time he received the keys.

See Section 1950.5(g):

CA Codes (civ:1940-1954.1)

Did you receive your deposit within 21 days of her receiving the keys? If so, your LL did not do anything wrong.

Back