Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Whats Next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjlr50

Okay, some of you may have read my previous post, for those who haven't heres the scoop. I was arrested for shoplifting (Completely innocent) Any how My biggest concern was a bench warrent that I have in MI, I have been told by my lawyer and many of you that that's a non-issue (Whew) of course I have to go to court next month, I am scared to death,:eek: I have done some research and found that the penalty for Sl could be 11 months and a 2,500.00 fine! I have 2 children at home, I am partly handicapped etc....and the meir thought of jail time is just down right defastating to me!:eek:
BTW the amount that they are accusing me of taking is $11.00 (if that matters) Cawn anyone give me any idea what I may be looking at? Of course my attny says he is gonna go for community service or probation. I am just worried. Also, what is gonna happen in court that first time? Thanks in advance for any help or reassurance.

You won't do one day in jail or prison for this indiscretion.

Plead not guilty, unless your lawyer has gotten you a deal.

If you're handicapped, you won't end up doing any community service.

But, please, listen to your attorney. There is a good reason you hired him or her.

In court, you'll show remorse and contrition (if you take a deal), listen to a lecture from the judge, and a pre-sentence investigation will be ordered. It'll take about 60-90 days to complete.

You'll be sent home and when you return, you'll get your sentence. More than likely a little fine and some probation. Do the probation, your record will be wiped clean.

Can you tell me what is involved in this presentence investication? AS I mentioned before I have kids at home and would rather they not know anything about this.

Thanks again for your help

You need to get your legal advice from your attorney not a website of unknowns. Further I suspect since you rinnocent you plan to fight charge. Where I agree jail is unlikley (I wont say it wont happen) it becomes more likely if you fight charge and lose. If there is a warrant for your arrest that can play into case as court might hold you to see if other states wants to extradite you or not. Once again your Attorney (no other) is in best position to advise you want to do

isn't this something the retailer would have gone after before the arrest? (at least that is what I have read)
How would it come into play at this point?

Would they seek the cival demand rather than a conviction or trial?
or is this just an additional way for them to get money ontop of what the court may order in the way of a sentance?

Thank you for your help and I apologize for earlier understandably I am shaken, and as such am a little off!
Any other information or help you could offer would be helpful

jacksgal

can you tell me here or in private if you agree with what I have been told so far? AS I said my attny said he is 99.9% sure there will be no jail time and that the bench warrent in MI is not an issue.

What is your take?

is it possible that my attny culd neg. a deal with the retailer at this point? (Cival Demand) And am I wrong to take a deal?

I am so worried and confused I don't know what to do.

No one here should be telling you to disregard what your Attorney says. Where your attorney and I agree is the ratio of chance. I am unwilling to say flately "no jail time" even though its a high probabilty that is likely going to be case. Your "best" legal advice comes from your Attorney if you do not believe or trust him then seek another Attorneys opinion or any expert in the area of law you require

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back