What warrants a verbal threat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alice7

My jurisdiction is: Burlington County, NJ

I was accused of doing something illegal by someone--posting a fake profile on a dating site. I didn't do it. He went and reported me as doing it to the dating site. I was very upset. I called his phone and left a message in which I told him that I didn't do it, to leave me out of his dating life, and that I had better never see him on the street, and he didn't know me and had no right to do what he did. He told a 3rd party that he was in fear of his life because I threatened him. He told the 3rd party that in no uncertain terms what he was going to do to me in terms of putting me through a court hearing, loss of job, etc. He knows that I am a public employee and if he can prove that I threatened him in court, I would lose my job. I am so upset that I can't sleep over this matter and I am now just waiting to get a court summons.
Question is...because I used the words..."I had better never see you on the street"...does that constitute a threat? Can he get this proved in court?
I have not directly communicated with him since this phone message.

you're worrying too much...obviously do not have anymore contact with him, or anyone discussing him. All people have arguments and rifts. If he really feels he's in danger he can take action, but a judge will want more than 1 phone call to actually justify any legal conviction against you.

not a legal professional...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back