What Type of Attorney do we need

Status
Not open for further replies.

pgearl

My daughter who lives in a condo has received a letter from an insurance company stating she is liable for some damge done to another condo. She did not have individual insurance but she did have the condos insurance what type of lawyer handles this? we have contacted many only to find they do not handle this type of case.

So it sounds like something in her unit leaked/burned into another unit? What are they asking that she cover? The condo insurance is just a blanket policy and it is pretty limited to what it covers. Was she a renter? Did she not have renters insurance or an individual homeowners policy?

I would imagine a civil attorney can help you.

Last edited:
No she is the owner and no she did not have additional insurance even though Dad was under the impression she did. Life lesson learned. The insurance company representing the other condo owner just sent her an letter stating she was liable for $8000 worth of damage to the condo no breakdown of what the charges are. A water filter in her unit split open while she was not home and flooded the unit directly below her and water got into the other condo as well. Alot of the damage could have been avoided had the condo maintenance people been able to find the main shutoff valve for this bldg but i do not think they ever found one. The total cleanup bill from the remediation company for this unit was $3000. The unit took five days to be cleaned and nothing had to be replaced. I assume they are trying to say that they could not rent out this unit because of the water but in fact they had no one in it to begin with. In my daughters unit the condo insurance paid for half of the cleanup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back