Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft What Should i DO

Status
Not open for further replies.

lordcrazyd

I worked at a retailer. i rang a customer up with a certain amount and i adjusted it before going to the register and pocketed the change. If caught what am i faced with? If LP comes at me should i remain silent? I'm feeling terrible about this and i can't change the situation, i also don't want to loose my job.
Any reccomendations? would i be charged with a felony? the amount was over 200 less than 300

Much depends on state and charge. My advice stop this action and hope you havent been caught. If interviewed by LP remain silent sign nothing and contact a Lawyer

is this type of crime classified as embezzlement or petty theft, larceny? I don't plan on doing it again, i actually want to come clean and forfeit that money, although that would be burning my bridges. :dunno:

Last question as i feel I'm becoming a nuisance, what exact steps should i follow? If i refuse to sign anything, should i sign my resignation papers right then and there? that way if any future employer called they'd have to say the reason for termination was "quit" since it would be the truth. I'm taking into consideration that they wouldn't press charges.

Like i said earlier, i'm not feeling great, i can do something to make it right without getting anyone one involved ie: " crediting the money back from my pocket" but it may raise a bigger flag that just letting it be.

You've been a great help thanks.

Your not a bother this what this site is for. If you want to sign your termination papers (if any) do not sign them if you disagree with reasons. Unless you see they have proof of the thefts you should not sign or write any confession or acknowledgment this could impact your chance of unemployment. No matter what they tell you, you do not have to sign anything!

The site is here for people to get answers. You asked a question, now we answer :)

I agree with Admin. If confronted, stay silent. Any comments you say, statements you write, papers you sign will be used in their case file against you. It is best to let them go forward with what they have (if they do have anything) and let your attorney build the best possible defense for you. Your statements do NOTHING in your favor, they actually hurt you. If at anytime you feel uncomfortable, ask for an HR representative, and request someone "objective".

What I would do right now is start looking for other jobs and put your notice in once you have found suitable employment. If you are terminated for theft, it will be near to impossible to find another job because the the theft database and you will not be able to collect unemployment.

I know this is weighing on your conscious and that is a good thing. Do not steal again. Also let us know what you decide to do and any actions your company take against you. This is a safe place to get answers and there are several of us willing to help guide you through the process.

TWO THINGS!!!

#1 STOP STEALING
#2 DO NOT SIGN ANY PAPERS

If you write a statement confessing to taking the money, it will hurt you. If the store decide to take a warrant for your arrest, the statement you wrote will be used as evidences. Writing a statement helps the store in the long run.

Here's my other question? Does LP have the authority to hold you or lock you in a room? I'm just wondering if i see him my first reaction would be to walk out of the store and quit. Is this a terrible stragedy? I just want to know as much as possible, i don't wanna be one of those persons who admit to everything and get penalized for it, I've read a lot that these confessions are the quickest way to get charged then actually factual evidence. As far as i'm concerened they would in my case since cameras were rolling when i pocketed the money,I feel the suspense is building, i calculated my changes of being caught or revealed are somewhere in 1 in 100 10% the customer will come back at all for a problem and 10% chance the customer would demand a refund. As long as i'm there i can swing it and fix the ticket, so my chances would be even greater since i would be called to help him.

As an added note the customer can request a return only for 30 days. After that he is entitled for an exchange of the same item, most of the time we don"t do paper work for that item. So even if he came after 30 days he wouldn't be able to demand his money back and the obvious erroneous amount would be remote as that charge would not be returned and no one would second guess it.

LP but keeps taps on cameras when situation like this arise. I'm only partially concerned here than the actual customer returning.

My second major concern would a) obviously being arrested and b) falling into a national theft database, which in my opinion just as bad or even worse than being arrested. My company is not that big so i wouldn't know if they subscribe to that type of information anyway to find out? :p

Anything else i should be prepared for, I promise :dunno: i will update no matter what the outcome is :dunno: , i'm going to try to tuff it out for this next month

Offenders often think they know where and when cameras are on they usually are wrong. If you were suspected they might have installed a new hidden camera to catch you! This happens a lot! If you want to quit thats your choice. If contacted by future employer they can still tel them you quit before you were fired for theft. If they choose they can still file charges if you quit. If you quit you cannot seek UI benefits. Its your call but I can assure you if called in by LP they already have the goods on you. Sign nothing admit nothing no matter what they tell you!

Admin said:
Offenders often think they know where and when cameras are on they usually are wrong. If you were suspected they might have installed a new hidden camera to catch you! This happens a lot!

Yep! I've installed pinhole cameras before, that have a lense the size of a pin, you'd never know it was there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back