Other Criminal Charges & Offenses What may customs agents search when you reenter the country?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jake5488

Can a traveller be compelled to allow US Customs agents to search the contents of your smart phone, your computer or camera? I undersand that they may look for explosive material but can they search the contents of your electronics without your permission? It can take a long time and a person can miss a connecting flight.

In the summary I read, computers were specifically listed as being INcluded in the items that customs agents had a right to search. I could find nothing to suggest that smart phones or cameras were EXcluded and find it very difficult to believe that computers would be allowed, but smart phones or cameras would not be.

Can a traveller be compelled to allow US Customs agents to search the contents of your smart phone, your computer or camera? I undersand that they may look for explosive material but can they search the contents of your electronics without your permission? It can take a long time and a person can miss a connecting flight.
I would think they could, but they would probably have to get a warrant, or your written consent...but I do not know the airline would do, or what power they have. Interesting thing to think about though.

I was hoping that someone knew the law. It is hard for me to believe that it is possible that the government can make you give up your password and they search the contents of your computer.

They are looking for more than explosives.
You and everything in your possession is subject to search until you get past customs.
It is my understanding that you are not officially in the US until clearing customs.

Google "US Customs search authority". You should find a PDF of their search policy. Interestingly, it seems electronics can be searched at will, however sealed letters require a warrant.

Last edited:
If your schedule is so tight that a delay at Customs will cause you to miss your connecting flight, then may I respectfully suggest that you schedule your flights further apart. The safety of others takes precedence over your convenience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back