Burglary, Arson, Home Invasion What is the DA doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

janethomas

My jurisdiction is: Tulsa, Oklahoma

My son has been indited on 5 different charges. The DA has agreed to drop 4 cases if we take a plea of 15 years with the 85% rule.
What does it mean. Why is the DA willing to drop the 4 cases? The charges are robbery, burglery 1st class and a possession charge. They will drop all except the Burglary 1st class.

Because he can drop the other charges, your son doesn't have to risk serving multiple offenses with consecutive sentences, and the state saves the cost of a trial.

He can always turn it down and run the risk of a longer term.

What does his attorney say about the deal? if he does not have an attorney, he needs to get one now!

- Carl

Plea Bargain

Thank you Carl, for your response.

My son has a lawyer and he is the one who got the plea. My son does not agree with the plea and wants to change lawyers.

We have not gone to the preliminary hearing yet so we have not seen the evidence and have not gotten the discovery yet. So my son does not want to plea without all the info. He feels he should fight. I don't know what to tell him. I am afraid of him getting more time.

Note that DA is the one who makes the offers and he does not HAVE to offer ANYTHING. Ultimately, the decision to accept a plea or not is his. If he has the money he can fight the charges ... but, if he's facing 15 years on a single burglary charge, he has an extensive prior history as that is WAAAAY outside the base term for that offense.

If he is facing some serious felony charges, it is doubtful that he is going to walk away without a few years in prison. But, it's his call.

- Carl

i have been prison for robberies charges and service 6 years out of 10. let me take you my side of story. the first offer is never good but i think the d.a. will gave him a lower offer before trial. only God knows what exactly happen of the natural of crime. if the d.a. have no substaince evidences and you know it, you take to trial. but it is 50-50 u could take the risk but it is like 75-25 isnt going on your side, it is wise to take a deal. if you take it to trial , your son could face 25 years to life under three strikes law and it is real. people getting lifes for stupid shitt like stole a pack of gum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back