What is the "Anti-Theater Spectacular Law."

P

paul 92 fr

Hello,

I have to translate in french a 1922 american text where this phrase appears and i have no idea what it means. The authors quotes the "the evening world of new york" (published from 1887 to 1931) which boasts its influence over legislation : "the world was instrumental in obtaining the Anti-Theater Spectacular Law."

I would be very grateful if someone could tell me what this law is about or where to find its text since it is very important for me to translate this text successfully in order to obtain my master degree in translation.

I've never heard the term.
It may not be referencing an actual law, or maybe it was something very local. It could be an abstract concept too. I would expect a thorough reading of the text would help put it in context. Certainly something like that isn't mentioned and not explained a bit.

To translate text properly you should first learn how to read it.

You are apparently (or should be) reading from a book called Crystallizing Public Opinion by Edward Bernays.

On Page 94 he writes, "The World was instrumental in obtaining the Anti-Theater Ticket Speculator Law" which refers to ticket scalping which is the practice of buying theater tickets in advance and selling them outside the theater for a profit on show night.

Crystallizing public opinion bernays

yes it comes from this book,i know how to read but there is a typo in my edition of the book : spectacular instead of speculator. I also thought it could refer to ticket scalping but it was just a guess then because of the typo. Thanks.

Back