Business Contracts What is legal according to the US Flag Code?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MStachan

My customer wants the US flag in the country of america with a truck ripping through the middle of the heart land like a bullet for his logo - not quite his words but that's how I see it. I told him it is probably illegal and offensive at least to me. Is there some kind paper work to protect me from this if I make the logo? Or even an email explaining why it is wrong and I'll print it out and have him sign it that I will not be hold responsible. He really really wants this and I told him about the consequences - still he wants it. Please advise me about US Flag Code... the information I found on this matter is conflicting on many websites and books about the flag as is or in a different shape such as the country of america or a star... a circle... or etceteras.

My customer wants the US flag in the country of america with a truck ripping through the middle of the heart land like a bullet for his logo - not quite his words but that's how I see it. I told him it is probably illegal and offensive at least to me. Is there some kind paper work to protect me from this if I make the logo? Or even an email explaining why it is wrong and I'll print it out and have him sign it that I will not be hold responsible. He really really wants this and I told him about the consequences - still he wants it. Please advise me about US Flag Code... the information I found on this matter is conflicting on many websites and books about the flag as is or in a different shape such as the country of america or a star... a circle... or etceteras.

I suggest you consult an attorney, or just politely decline to do what he wishes.

If he still wants it, ask him to get a written legal opinion from his attorney.

There is nothing you can obtain, in the event of a problem, except a written opinion from a lawyer.

Normally, if an attorney gives you a written legal opinion, that can offer some protection from prosecution.

There are no iron clad protections, however, as prosecutors are free to pursue whomever they wish.

Last edited:
The Flag Code is not enforceable law. It is essentially a guideline for flag etiquette.
There is no violation you could be charged with for making the logo, or for the customer displaying it. There are many products already available that incorporate the flag into the design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back