What exactly is a medical bankruptcy

aprilbaker692

Jurisdiction
Utah
I am calling laywers to ask some questions starting Monday. One question I do have that does not make sense to me and I do not want to waste thier time asking is this. I was looking at Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 I understand pretty well what those are. I also understand bankruptcy is a little different than it used to be several years ago and I do not understand it honestly. The thing is there is a chance when my husbands kidney transplant dies he will need another one in 15 or 20 years. My mother in law is trying to claim that a "medical bankruptcy" is a thing and different than a chapter 7. SHe stated that it would be bad to file because if i need to in the future I may not be able to discharge medical debt because its once in a life time.

Can you clarify if she is confused about medical bankruptcy and if its even a thing any more.
IF I do file CH7 I understand you can file once every 8 years but is there a stipulation attached to medical debt over a lifetime. No one expects to have it but we are drowning now. If I can save some money in the future maybe we can avoid some of it. I want to have my options open though if we need to. Searching "Medical Bankruptcy" gives me a bunch of garbage ads and debt consolidation place listings.

Any suggestions on what exactly would be good questions to direct at an attorney. I have a learning disability and struggle to ask and explain myself very clearly.

A chapter 7 BK wipes away nearly ALL of your personal debt.

A chapter 13 is a mechanism that requires you to pay some (maybe all) of your personal debt.

You can Google the terms and read all about it yourself.

Frankly, there's very little you need to know, because a competent BK attorney will discuss your options in detail with you.

Most lawyers will provide you written material to study before you decide.

You don't need to do much else, except stop asking people who confuse you, or don't know of what they speak.

Under the new BK laws, you can only file once every TEN years.

Google, Yahoo, Bing it, and you'll can find the answers you need.

You can also check out "pro se bankruptcy", and discover how easy it is to yourself.

It'll also save you $1,500 to $5,000, maybe more.

A chapter 7 BK wipes away nearly ALL of your personal debt.

A chapter 13 is a mechanism that requires you to pay some (maybe all) of your personal debt.

You can Google the terms and read all about it yourself.

Frankly, there's very little you need to know, because a competent BK attorney will discuss your options in detail with you.

Most lawyers will provide you written material to study before you decide.

You don't need to do much else, except stop asking people who confuse you, or don't know of what they speak.

Under the new BK laws, you can only file once every TEN years.

Google, Yahoo, Bing it, and you'll can find the answers you need.

You can also check out "pro se bankruptcy", and discover how easy it is to yourself.

It'll also save you $1,500 to $5,000, maybe more.

I figured she didn't know what she was talking about. I appreciate the answer. The answer to my question was very straight forward and I will discuss further with a BK attorney. I needed to ask her some dates for something since they were before I married my husband and i was not around. He had no memory and she kind of shot her mouth off after figuring out why I needed the information. Thank you for your time. I appreciate it.

Back